Tongue cancer

• 8 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Hi just wondering if anyone who had tongue cancer feel their speech was slightly affected after RT. I'm 9 weeks post RT now and feel it hard speaking sometimes and sore as I feel my tongue is so swollen in my mouth and my cheek on the RT side swollen too. People say they understand me perfectly but I feel I slur a little and very conscious of chatting  very hard as I'm a chatter box. Does this ease over time..I had the tumour cut out on my left side and it was stage 1. I spoke much easier after head and neck dissection compared to RT. Anyone experience the same. Thank you x

• Hi just wondering if anyone who had tongue cancer feel their speech was slightly affected after RT.
    Does this ease over time.

Yes I’m sure mine did. I put  it down to lack of flexibility in my mouth and to a reduction of saliva.
    It did ease.
    Remember you are very early in recovery. Don’t expect to be happy with your progress till you’re six months. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Dani thank you again for your reassurance. I'm very hard on myself and keep thinking I'm going backwards instead of getting better. It's good to know these things as no oncologist or consultant knowTwo heartsthe exact answer only people who have gone through it themselves understand. Two heartsTwo hearts

• Plus can tell you what they have experienced. I have you tortured xx

• Hi yes think we all feel similar I was sure my voice had changed but everyone else says I sounded the same. Lack of saliva and thickening of tongue doesn’t help. 
    ira early days for you in recovery. Aim for 6  months but my oncologist did say he would cure me but also take a year out of my life he did both. 

hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• No problem. It’s why we are here. I have not only my experience to draw on but all the others I have shared the community with these last five plus years. 
    Recovery is steps forward and back being a marathon not a sprint. I was impatient and got frustrated too. One day at a time. Keep a diary. Then you can look back on say two weeks previous and see the progress you made. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you Dani great advice xx

• Oh Hazel thank you. I now know this must be the timeline for recovery. I'm glad I'm not going mad and it does happen to others xx

• Hi your post has helped me as I also had stage 1 cancer of the tongue and had two operations on my right side of tongue then right neck dissection. I was learning to speak clearer and I’m now on my 3rd week of RT and am struggling to speak without slurring. Speech is so difficult as my tongue is swollen and I have a mouth full of ulsers and feel like a recluse. I’m dreading the next few weeks if it gets worse before it gets better. I hope you feel better soon. Sue