Tongue Cancer

• 4 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Hi was wondering if this is normal. I'm nine weeks post RT.  I still have swelling inside my cheek and it looks swollen every day. Is this due to RT and will it go down eventually or is it lymphoedema . I do my neck and mouth exercises a few times every day. Seems a silly question but just wondering if normal. Thank you .

• Yes it’s normal. Like I’ve said before five years later my cheek is still a tiny bit swollen and I sometimes bite it by accident. 

RT damage takes a long time to repair itself. You are likely looking at six months before you are comfortable with it. Please don’t worry. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Like Dani has said - it is normal.  I am 6 months post treatment and the bit they hit hardest in my mouth is still tender although not nearly as swollen as a few weeks ago.  Each day it gets better, but it is a slow process.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi, I'm a week behind , and my tongue still gives me a bit of discomfort, and I get the odd twinge along my jaw/neck on the treatment side.. it might be an idea though to ask your team about any lymphoedema concerns you may have, as I have a very stubborn area on my throat, and do SLD every day to keep my lymphatic system moving..

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive.. 

• Hi thank you for your advice.. I think mine is still to do with healing as I'm only 9 weeks post RT. I do do my lymphoedema exercises on my neck if I see any swelling. I have a very thin neck and it's noticeable on me well I noticed it but it actually gives me a wee bit of a fuller face. X