Help...excruciating pain 4 weeks after RT

• 14 replies
  • 76 subscribers

Hi all I'm back. Any tips on pain relief? As you know had my hemi reconstruction & lymph nodes taken in April. Radiotherapy for six weeks finished 4 weeks ago but I'm in more pain now than when I had tongue cancer, had surgery & was having RT. 

Yes I'm taking ensures orally now on mst morning & night, Paracetamol 4 times a day and oramorph as needed which seems to be all the time yet I'm still in so much pain all the time. 

Any advice or help I'm desperate? I know these ulcers will go soon but with young children to deal with too I'm really struggling x

• Hi Tigerlily

Not easy..... mouth pain is pretty intense, pain meds should control it though, I was on slow release morphine twice a day also Oramorph as needed, Difflam also helped...if your pain meds are not doing their job tell your CNS/oncology team ASAP...do not suffer in silence...

Peter

• How much mst were you on? I'm on 30mg morning then same at night.

I've told CNS they adv ensure I'm taking Paracetamol 4 times a day & oramorph which I am. I do take difflam but it burns even after diluting. Calphasol I can't take anymore burns too much

• 10 mg slow release morphine in he morning...same at night.... 

On medical advice ....Oramorph 10-20 mls  as needed...sometimes 5 x daily at the height of pain....+ occasional top up if pain was bad

but speak to or email CNS before taking extra meds.

Peter

• Ok thanks very much. At 4 weeks post RT didn't think would be in peak of pain thought by now would be easing. Do u remember when yours did? Thanks Claire 

• MST and oramorph plus paracetamol for me.  are you trying to take food orally? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Only the ensures I'm in too much pain to eat anything. I mean the ensures sting but I drink water after each swallow. I'm off the feeding tube

Just thought morphine would ease my pain, I'm going out of my mind. It only eases slightly if i don't drink, talk or open my mouth brush my teeth mouthwash etc. 

• Hi Claire

Chemoradio finished in June 2023...mid-August brought real relief...

Then I had a Hernia op early September...intubation damaged my throat and pain kicked off for another.3 weeks...such is our lot....

But things do get better...I went to Tenerife in October with my wife...had a great time....no pain

Take care 

Peter

• Good evening Tigerlily1983, when i was in a lot of pain i was prescribed pain relief patches plus oxycodone in liquid form, the pain patches were only for a short term but did do the job. Please do not suffer in pain and contact one of your team or your G.P. Wishing you all the best, take care.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Tigerlily

Throat pain is following certain pattern, I guess it is due to speed of our mucous membrane regeneration. After my surgery I was not able to eat or even drink pure water normally. My surgeon told me that it would take circa 3 weeks. 3 weeks later I sat at Frankfurt airport lounge. Suddenly I felt an urge to try a banana and I ate it in 10 seconds. In 2 more days I was eating literally anything. RT came next. After it finished I was slowly dying on porridge and ensure diet for a month or so (I also refused morphine and went cold turkey). I lost 50 pounds in total. In about 5 weeks from RT finish I woke up needing a ramen. I got it several hours later and it was super delicious and almost normal.

You are very close to a turnaround, it is really about days now, soon it would be better

• I found at that stage the fortisips were good at calming my throat down.  I had some pretty painful ulcers.  I was on 10 microgram/hr patches and 5mg Oxycodone every 6 hours at that stage.  Maybe ask to try something different to ease the pain.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey