No treatment yet and mis diagnosis

• 4 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Hi

Sorry for long post

In May last year, my husband was diagnosed with tonsil cancer which had spread to neck lymph node and whilst he had scans, they found 2 lung nodules (both sides) which at the time they said they thought they were primaries.

He subsequently had 7 weeks of radical radiotherapy on his head area and  1 week on his lungs ..He was also told they say 2 very small nodules which they didnt treat and were 'watching' etc.  PET scan in December showed it had completely gone and the treatment was succesful. He didnt have any chemo as he is 73. Though relatively healthy , he tolerated radiotherapy really well but has lost his taste completely and still can not taste 1 year after treatment finished.

May this year, his routine scan showed the 2 nodules which were 'watching' have grown and now they are saying they were probably not primaries after all and acting like a spread from head and neck. So now they are not treating for a cure.

Hes had another recent scan to see if there has been much growth since May and fortunately one is only 4mm (no grwoth since May) and the other is 13mm (12mm in May)

The oncologist explained no treatment would be offered yet as the side effects could be worse and currently quality of life is better. I know immunotherapy has been mentioned but not chemotherapy as he doesn;t feel that would be any good for him.

The oncologist said they would scan again in another 10-12 weeks and see how things are then.

I just can not get my head around the fact its left to grow and could change to being fast growing anytime. My husband is just going with whatever he is advised and I am too as what else can we do?

Is this normal

Should I push for a second opinion? 

Thank you 

• Hi  , your husband's condition sounds a wee bit like mine. I had tonsil (HPV) cancer that was treated with chemoradiation therapy. But within a year or so, lots of new tumours were found across both my lungs. At first they thought I had an aggressive new cancer, but tests then showed that cancer in my tonsil had in fact spread. 

I've recently finished a 2-year course of immunotherapy (pembrolizumab) and luckily I responded really well to treatment, and my tumours have either shrunk or have disappeared. I'm still stage 4 of course, but what was once a <1 yr to live diagnosis now has a much better prognosis.

If your husband has the right biomarkers, immunotherapy might help him a lot. But note that while Pembro has been a game changer for some people with head and neck cancer, it comes with its own risks, which can be very serious.  

With regard to the size of the tumours, if they are under 10mm, then they post little risk, but greater than 10mm, then they pose concern.

As your husband is relatively healthy, I think his oncologist should at least be checking that he has the right biomarkers for immunotherapy to work. That alone would be worth getting a second opinion on. 

I hope this helps. I Also kept a blog on what happened to me, and you can find that here (I"ve highlighted the post with immunotherapy only) https://ansmackay.wixsite.com/uclgeography/post/immunotherapy-the-revolution-in-cancer-treatment

Best, Anson

cc:   

• Hi Anson

Thank you so much for your reply .

I have read your blog too . It’s really helpful and informative. We were given the lengthy handouts about immunotherapy and it’s many side effects.

The oncologist did say he would be eligible for immunotherapy . I’m assuming a blood test he had determined that ?

He just said as the tumours have not grown significantly since May, it was advised to not start anything yet . He just kept mentioning not curative etc . It felt like he was writing him off but I rang the nurse afterwards who assured  me treatment would be offered should things change for the worse on his next scan (10-12 weeks time ) . As I mentioned the biggest of his tumours is 13mm,

Did you have any side effects with immunotherapy ?

Thank you again 

Sharon 

• Thank you Anson. 
    I’ll update the link in my lexicon you posted too 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Anson for a clear concise explanation. 

You are an inspiration to many of us. 

hugs Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help