Suspected H&N Cancer

• 6 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hi, 

New here, joined today.

I'm 30yo, 13 weeks ago I found a lump on the right side of my neck under my right ear on the corner of my jaw, I ignored it for a few weeks thinking it was a gland flaring up fighting a cold or the flu.

4 weeks later it was still there, I managed to get a Dr's appointment the same day, Dr sent me for an urgent referral, I went to see a Co sultant who then booked me in an ultrasound, this was done a couple of days later, ultrasound confirmed this was a problem, biopsy then booked in, a week later they took 2 samples, it was at this stage the ultrasound guy who was doing the biopsy said it looked like a benign tumour, results was due a week later, 2 days before my results (today) I had a call telling me my results will be discussed over the phone however I need to book a blood test and they are arranging an MRI scan. What should I be expecting, am I going to be told its a cancer and an MRI will confirm what stage and if its spread? Common sense tells me it's a problem if an MRI is needed even though I haven't had my results?

Looking for abit of guidance or scenario I'm likely to hear, I have a rough idea

Thanks 

• Hi  Jammy

No point in trying to second guess the outcome, biopsies and scan will give a good idea of what is going on.

If it is HPV16+ cancer the cure rate is very good ....circa 90%..

Many lumps and bumps are not cancerous.

Please update the forum with your progress, plenty of sound advice and support from people who have walked in your shoes 

Take care and best of luck 

Peter 

• What should I be expecting, am I going to be told its a cancer and an MRI will confirm what stage and if its spread? Common sense tells me it's a problem if an MRI is needed even though I haven't had my results?

Hi  

Welcome to our little group

The MRI will be to see if there is something else going on. Oropharyngeal cancer classic presentation is a swollen painless neck lymph node with the original cancer somewhere in the throat..usually tonsils. As Peter Says, most is caused by HPV infection and is curable . However...your age is in your favour. HPV cancer is on the rise and patients are getting younger (I was 67 but there are members here in their 50s) but 30 is pretty young.

Maybe the MRI is to exclude head and neck cancer and the blood test to look for something else. 

Hopefully you're OK. Fingers' crossed.

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Jammybenji94, welcome to the group, let's hope it is just a fleeting visit. I think the blood test is maybe because you will be having your MRI scan with contrast, which gives them a clearer view on the scan. There are lots of things that can give the symptoms you have got, which are not cancer. Let us know how you get on. 

Ray.

• Hi try not to worth over 90% of referrals aren’t cancer. Fingers x you are one if them. Please try to keep busy and let us know the outcome 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Hi 

A warm Welcome from me .

Like the others have said it’s impossible to second guess at this point but having blood tests and MRI will help consultant form a better picture of what’s going on .

Keep that anxious brain busy watch endless tv series/ netflix do whatever you can to distract it as it will keep trying to overload you with what ifs….

See friends/family talk to them or mcmillan about how your feeling ( if possible) and please STAY OFF GOOGLE it had me dead and buried before I d even started treatment … Im very happy to say it worked  and I’m still hereJoy

Hope it all goes ok for you, support is here whenever you need it .

Debbie

• 2 days before my results (today) I had a call telling me my results will be discussed over the phone

Did you hear from the hospital ?

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge