Peg fitting procedure

• 21 replies
  • 77 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I start my radiotherapy and chemo 24th July, scary times ahead but getting myself prepared.

Had my mask fitting and CT with contrast yesterday gosh that was fun it was when it started getting hard and the pressure of it getting tighter on my face jeez I thought I was suffocating but got through it, the CT Scan with mask on wasn't too bad, the contrast was weird and I panicked a bit as It felt like I had wet myself, but this is usual apparently  

Saw the oncologist and he mentioned about having a peg fitted put in place ready just in case I cannot manage later on to eat, but they need me to try eat as it helps with swallowing etc.Gift heart

This will be done in x-ray dept and I need to stay in hospital for 1 night.  

Is it painful when they do it? I forgot to ask, what do they do, I was so out of sorts it completely slipped my mind to ask about the procedure Rolling eyes

Thanks Sarah Blush

• Hi Sarah. Well done on getting through. I know some people find it difficult. I’m a nosey sort and was fascinated by it all. 
    They sedate you for the PEG. Most people report that they don’t remember a thing. It does take a couple of weeks to settle and fur the tummy cramps to go. 

To have a PEG, an endoscope (camera) is inserted via your mouth into your stomach, to view the stomach lining. When the insertion site for the PEG is located, a small incision is made under local anaesthetic in the skin. The PEG tube is passed into your mouth, down through your stomach and out through the incision. It will then be secured in place and its position checked with the endoscope.

Macmillan have a little info here 

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/impacts-of-cancer/nutritional-support/enteral-nutrition#:~:text=The%20person%20putting%20the%20PEG%20then%20cleans%20the%20skin%20of,feeding%20tube%20into%20the%20stomach.

Don’t worry too much about not needing to eat. I took nothing orally for 8 weeks and my swallow is fine. I had exercises to do. I did them religiously and still do. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Bless you Dani, that's good to know Thumbsup  and thanks for the link. 

Yes treatment kicks off in a couple of weeks with 7 wks of radiotherapy 5 days a week and 40% dose of cisplatin 1 per week for 7 wks if tolerated but 5 weeks will still be good .

I am getting prepared for it all, not going to lie I'm petrified but I know mentally that I'm not on my own with all this I will have lots of support from all the team, my husband, friends and family, you all amazing people and no doubt other patients I shall meet through this journey.

I feel blessed and humble to be on this forum xx

• Hello Sarah, I told them I am claustrophobic, so I had a mask with my face  open .

Some people find getting a Peg fitting fine.  I was in agony for days but painkillers helped a lot. After a week I did some stretching exercises which helped too

• Hi as long as you keep doing the swallow and jaw exercises don’t stresssbiut the swallow we don’t forget how to. I was NG tube  fed for 6 weeks 3 before 3 sfterwsrfd and I started to sip ensures. Fear is only nary once treatment starts you get into a rhythm honestly. 

hazel well done on mask. 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Hi Sarah,  PEG fitting differs between people, some have a bit of trouble at first, but most are fine, they take a few days to settle down, you will be shown how to use and clean it, which you will quickly get used to. You will be really pleased to have it if eating becomes difficult during your treatment. If you have any worries or questions along the way, just ask, someone will always answer if they can.

Ray.

• Hi Sarah

I had my PEG fitted in April 2023 (removed September 2023)

Sedated prior to fitting....fell asleep during procedure ....felt nothing....spent one night in hospital under observation.

Moderate abdominal muscle pain for the next 5 days...well managed by pain meds....

Removal was quite painless.

Peter

• Hello Sarah, I told them I am claustrophobic, so I had a mask with my face  open .

Wow. I didn’t know you could have that. I do advise people to ask to have eyeholes cut. Many masks have them pre formed these days. My RT was over five years ago and things move on. Have you a picture? 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks. That looks almost comfortable. Wink

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Wow Astonished  that's incredible wish I'd have known about this, had the eyes marked out they said they will be cut out ready for my first day thank goodness as the mask was pushing my eyes down and put a lot of pressure on them