Terrible throat sores with radiotherapy.

• 11 replies
  • 76 subscribers

Hi There,

I've been previously looking at the Esophageal cancer forum, but most people there have the tumor further down towards their stomach.  My husbands tumor was borderline 'head and neck' or' Esophageal' but I can see many more similarities here. 

My husband is finishing his 4 cycles of chemo and radiotherapy tomorrow. However, his neck is red raw and blistered with the radiotherapy. His tumor was stage 3 and had spread to local lymph nodes. No surgery offered as they said it was too near the main aorta so just the chemo/radio combination.  

We see the same people every day at the radiotherapy waiting room, mostly men, sitting in their dressing gowns having radiotherapy on their prostate and chatting and laughing.  My poor hubby is on Morphine, co-codamol, and can only take shakes through a Rig, which luckily was fitted months ago, so not much in common with the others, and to be honest he doesn't feel like chatting (more like...lets get is over with and out of here...!!)

We felt a bit isolated as even other Esophageal patients seem to have no radiation problems, but we were told it was because his tumor is very near the surface in the lower neck, hence the blistering.  

It is such a long and hard journey, as you all know. I'm just hoping that there will be some light at the end of the tunnel for him.  I know everyone is different but there seems to be very few stats on survival rate for this.  They said at the beginning of his 'plan' that the treatment was 'curative'.... but to me that sounds like "we are going to give it out best shot...but who knows" 

My question is.....Does anyone out there have some success stories where they have NOT had an operation, just the chemo/radiotherapy, and has lived long enough to call it a success story? I'd be very grateful for any feedback...good or bad??

Thank you

• Hi, Dani sent me a message, I had what you’re Husband has and sounds like he is having the same treatment, my site was between the nipples, they tried to reassure me that the RT wouldn’t go as high as my stoma in my neck but it did and my windpipe was a dreadful mess however my food pipe wasn’t effected so I could continue to eat soft foods 

As you will see on my profile I am now in remission for the last two years and as I have had 2 cancers I am on 4 monthly scans fingers crossed I am still clear

You or your husband can ask for telephone or community support from MacMillan Buddy Services just call the 0808 number or speak to one of his nurses and a referral can be made 

I hope everything comes together and it’s very tough going but hopefully all will come good,  stay safe

Tony

Community Champion Badge

We will move mountains to help people with cancer live life as fully as they can.
    We'll do whatever it takes. For information, support or just someone to talk to,

call 0808 808 00 00 or visit www.macmillan.org.uk

Onwards and UpwardsWink Laryngectomy and OC survivor 

Lead Volunteer for Hampshire MacMillan Buddy Service