Awfully painful skin on neck after radiotherapy

• 8 replies
  • 72 subscribers

Hello and I hope you’re doing well. 

great news is mum has completed her 6 weeks of radio, and 1 chemo last week. 

I was hoping for some tips/advice/product reccomendations for the skin on her neck please. 

it’s very quickly started to all peel away and is very scaly and raw and incredibly painful. The hospital gave her jelly called flaminal hydro… and it’s not really helping.. is there any thing else she can try please? 

Many thanks 

Amy x

• Ask for Flamazine. It works wonders and her neck will be much better pretty quickly 

If your mum’s team are unreachable quickly you can buy it on Amazon  

The good news is that RT doesn’t have a residual effect on the skin so it shouldn’t get worse. 
    Oh and well done Mum. Hugs 

Edit. No Amazon don’t have it. GP should prescribe. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Amy

Sorry to hear about your mum. I was given a dressing called PolyMem. It has done wonders for my neck. I used Flamazine throughout but the dressing made a real difference.

If you google - polymem dressing radiotherapy it will give more info.  It is worth asking for some. If they will not prescribe send me a message and I can send some to you that I have spare.

Dawn x

• Thank you so much! Have sent this to mum hopefully they can get her sorted with some asap, thanks :)

• Brilliant. Thanks so much! On it!! Xxx

• Yes Polymem is good if the skin is oozing 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Smy my skin broke down week 5 I had 2 more weeks to go I was given polymem bandages they work very well. Ask mums cancer nurse for them in prescription with the special tape to keep on you keep them on until the green comes through then change to s new one. If you look at my blog you’ll see his my husband used to make skits in mine so it didn’t roll up. 
    Well done to Kim on completing treatment 

hugs Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• I found sudacrem healed my neck better than anything else, but it takes a while and can feel quick inflexible. 

I hope your mum’s feeling better soon. She's at the most difficult time at the moment. I had an expectation that once the treatment was over id get well very quivkly, but it gets worse for around 3-4 weeks. 

But it does get better - sending positive vibes to you and your family x

• I think the advice regarding the prescribed cream and dressing woukd be better than sudacrem.