Time from diagnosis to treatment NHS

• 13 replies
  • 82 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all doing ok. I would like to ask how long have you had to wait for treatment after being diagnosed on the NHS in the UK?

I really hope you can help Pray

Thanks Sarah 

• Hi Sarah. 
    My timeline is in Wales so worse than in England

Many folk are faster, some slower  but since Covid things have really got slower  

Self diagnosed second week in August 

Urgent referral by GP which got “lost” so first hospital consultant appointment 27th September. 

First radiotherapy treatment 12 December 

From biopsy results to first RT 6weeks

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hello Sarah

diagnosed beginning February 2022 - underwent surgery 21st March 2022

Best of luck

June

• Hi Sarah , my hubby was diagnosed March last year and surgery beginning of May last year. Wishing you all the best xx

• Hi Sarah

T2N1M0 HPV16+ Tonsil Cancer

Diagnosed Feb 10 2023....Chemoradio started April 24

Peter

• Hi, Sarah, I was diagnosed in the middle of July 2017, had my tonsils out middle of August, then started 6 weeks RT and chemo 2nd October.

Ray.

• Hi Sarah

Diagnosed with T2 N1 M0 HPV 

Tonsil removed 26/02/2024

Neck Dissection 25/03/2024

RT commenced 13/05/2024

RT ends 21/06/2024

All in all from GP appointment and 2 week referral - just over 5 months. 

Best wishes to you going forward

Dawn 

• Hi put on cancer pathway 14 May 2018 saw consultant 29 May 2018. Diagnosed 6 June biopsy 19 June oncologist 23 June. Mask made 4 July treatment started 14 July finished 31 August 2018. Scans mri fitted in between 6 June-19 June. 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• I think most of us have muddied the water with what happened before diagnosis....me included.

Seems to be around 4-6 weeks from biopsy result to beginning of treatment whether surgery or definitive RT.

Hazel, miraculously, achieved three weeks

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Sarah

The timeline depends on many things, but just the timing of biopsy, then results and finally the MDT can put an additional 2 weeks into the process.  Then there is a very careful planning process to go through to make sure they do it right and not miss the target with radiotherapy.

In my case the process would have been relatively swift in the 3 times I have been treated aside from self imposed delays for existing holidays and wanting to see Christmas through before treatment.

In my last cycle I was diagnosed on 15th November, then scans etc, went on holiday and to a conference, met my tertiary team on 19th December, mask made on 22nd December, PEG fitted on 4th January and treatment started on 8th January.  Previous cycles have been similar, even during Covid.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi Sarah

My location is in East Sussex. I was referred by my GP to ENT in April 2023, whereupon l had a tonsil removed for histology. I was initially told there were irregular cells but no need for treatment. A subsequent MDT meeting resulted in a call for a second opinion & l was diagnosed with Tonsillar cancer ( HPV+ ) in June 2023. Treatment commenced in the beginning of July. My GP recognised it was problematic immediately & the MDT did its job in challenging the initial  histology. Thereafter everything moved v quickly.