Mushrooms for Immune System Support

• 3 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Hi Friends,

This last May I was diagnosed with Stage 1 HPV related tonsil cancer which had spread to a single lymph node. I underwent a radical tonsillectomy and neck dissection 2 weeks ago and have been told by my doctors that radiation and chemo would not be recommended in my case.

I feel blessed to be in a position where I won’t be required to do additional treatment, but I am also very frightened about the idea that I could have a reoccurrence in the future.

Because of this, I am curious if others that have been through treatments have explored using mushrooms like turkey tail, or other mushroom extracts to help boost their immune systems and help prevent reoccurrence?

Thanks!

• Hi Cricket

Did not know about the mushroom effect on the immune system but I do like having them in my diet, will have to do a little more research. Been having them with my breakfast for the past fortnight.

Peter 

• Because of this, I am curious if others that have been through treatments have explored using mushrooms like turkey tail, or other mushroom extracts to help boost their immune systems and help prevent reoccurrence?

I haven't personally. I wasn't given the option of surgery to start with even though I had no nodal spread. It's an interesting  theory and there is lots of stuff on the internet about various mushrooms helping during treatment.

The problem with oropharyngeal cancer is that it is caused by a virus that enters the nucleus of our cells and is completely hidden from our immune system sitting there for years before it MIGHT cause cancer. This virus persists after treatment. 

You should still be in touch with your oncologist. Ask them.

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • My oncologist was really keen on the role of a healthy microbiome in cancer - not just the gut microbiome but skin, mouth etc. I got through treatment without too many side effects & put it partly down to the fact that I've always eaten healthily with lots of veg, live yoghurt etc & not much sugar, avoided antibiotics where possible, don't use antibacterials etc. I like mushrooms too but I think a variety of natural food is the key.

September 2022 aged 63 diagnosed with HPV associated SCC base of tongue T4 N2 M0. Chemo & radiotherapy for 6 weeks ending Nov 2022.  Dec 2023 one year all clear. See my profile for longer story