Throat cancer - feeling overwhelmed and worried waiting for treatment

• 14 replies
  • 79 subscribers

I have just put a description down in a previous discussion.What I didn't say is I'm finding myself feeling more and more overwhelmed by it and I don't start treatment for another 2weeks.I see a dentist next week and am so worried about having any teeth out.Has anyone had that?

• I’m in a similar position and start treatment in 3 weeks. I have 2 teeth extractions planned for Tuesday. Anything that is needed or will help I’m totally up for. The next few weeks for both of us are about the preparation to get us ready. We will be kept busy with appointments. Stay strong, you’ve got this! 

• Hi, my husband had a total laryngectomy a year ago, he had to go to the dental hospital before his surgery. He was more scared of going to the dentist. The doctor he saw gave him options after he went through every tooth he x-rayed. It was get all his teeth out or take a chance and keep them but go to his hygienist every three months and use special toothpaste. He went for the second option. He was fine after surgery and chemoradiotherapy,  it’s been a long journey but he has came out the other end. Can talk again but he still gets worried seeing a dentist. So far so good, he is glad he went for the second option.

• So pleased for your husband Charlie2828, it's lovely to hear he got an option with his teeth and that he can communicate now, im the same with the dentist and always have been even though i don't have bottom teeth, i go for a check-up once a year or if i have any concerns. Well done and good luck for the future, take care.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you as well and good luck with your treatment.