Dads diagnosed with scc

• 11 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hello , my dad has had a massive lump in his neck for a good few months and it’s slowly gotten bigger and it’s on his back now and he cannot move his left arm , also can’t swallow . He’s been diagnosed with SCC and is waiting for an appointment with the oncologist to see what’s next . Last time he seen him when they did some test the oncologist told him he might only have months left and the cancer has spread too much . My dad is on some pain killers at the moment , he’s hardly eating and he is extremely weak it’s so sad to see . His left arm has swollen up now as well but the nurses told me it’s from his cancer . Has anyone else been through this what happens next ? No one has really explained to us how to help him or how to deal with this .- edit , me my mum and my brother do live with him but my mum is his main carer as me and my brother work 

• Hi Oksana,

My heart goes out to you and your father.  I am sending you a big hug, and please continue to ask for help from this forum, I am sure there is someone who might have been through the same thing.  Keep your chin up.

Lady66H
  • Hi Oksana. This hasn’t happened to me but there have been a few of our members who have had a terminal diagnosis and have received hospice care. I would give your GP a ring tomorrow to see what they can offer locally. My mother in law recently passed away from a thyroid cancer and she she hospice care at home. She had a hospital bed installed and had round the clock care from her family and from MacMillan. Hospice care is available at a hospice too but it depends where you are. I think it’s time to get all this in place. You father needs to be kept comfortable and in no pain. 
    My heart goes out to you. Hugs 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you I will look into it ! Thank you very much 

• Thank you so much x

• Good evening Oksana, lovely advice from the others on here, i have never had this but im in agreement that he needs professional care , i know a few people who have nurses come around to help with the care or sometimes a hospice is a good option as they know exactly what to do and im sure they will give you great advice even if your Dad does not go to the hospice. Its never easy to juggle caring for your Dad and working, some companies will allow compassionate leave which they will enable you to take a couple of days off work to help with the care. I wish you and your family all the best and hope your Dad gets the help he deserves. Take care.

Hugs Chris 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• My dad passed away around 3 weeks ago but thank you for everyone’s reply x

• So sorry to hear that. Rest in Peace. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • I'm so sorry. Thank you for letting us know. Sending love and sympathy to you all. 

Catriona

September 2022 aged 63 diagnosed with HPV associated SCC base of tongue T4 N2 M0. Chemo & radiotherapy for 6 weeks ending Nov 2022.  Dec 2023 one year all clear. See my profile for longer story

• So sorry to hear your sad news. Thinking of you and your family.

Lyn

x

Sophie66

• So very sorry for the sad loss of your dad.  My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Sending comforting hug.

Dawn