New to this and worried!

• 2 replies
  • 71 subscribers

Hi Everyone

I have had a lump on my neck for around a year. As a typical bloke, I've buried my head in the sand and ignored it. This was until it has become big enough to easily notice when you look at me. I've had the occasional night sweat over the 12 months in which I've woken up drenched. I thought it was odd but never bothered to research it.

I went to see my GP 5 weeks ago and they referred me straight away but said its unlikely to be anything sinister. I decided to go private at this point. So I've had a ultrasound scan which labelled the lump as suspious of malignancy. I've also had a biopsy completed which has come back with a result of 'inconclusive'.

I now have a nasendoscopy booked. As I've never spoken to a consultant, only their PA who can only offer very limited information, I was wondering if anyone else had had a similar experience. Inconclusive? Is that a good thing? Does that limit the odds of me having cancer?

I'm so overwhelmed with having to wait for results which tell me nothing....I'm at my wit's end.

• Hi Rich. The waiting is awful and all we can do is keep busy but don’t be busy on Google. 
    A swollen lymph node is indeed a presenting symptom of tonsil cancer but also  other  conditions so for the time being you have to leave it to the experts. 
    A nasoendoscopy might pinpoint the problem. 
    The reason biopsies come back inconclusive is that too small a sample is taken if you had a needle biopsy. It can miss the cancer. A bigger sample called a core biopsy might need to be taken if they find nothing in your throat. 
    An MRI might be indicated. 
    There might be a way to go before the doctors find out. 
    I really do hope that you are clear. If you aren’t then stay with us. Tonsil cancer treatment is a real challenge but cure rates are in excess of 90%

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Rich

Waiting is tough....inconclusive is not a comforting response from medics...best to let experts take a more in depth look...stay off Dr Google.

Best of luck

Peter