Urgent Referral advice?

• 7 replies
  • 70 subscribers

Hi guys, thanks for coming to my post. Basically I went to my gp for this permanent sore throat and the feeling that something is ‘there’, he took one look and gave me an urgent referral. I was messed around for a week as they referred me somewhere worlds away and today I finally got referred to a hospital nearby. 

It came as a shock because I tend not to google my symptoms and as a healthy 29 year old I just never considered it could be anything serious. I had a c section two weeks ago and now as I am coming off the pain relief, the throat is absolutely flooring me and nothing is helping. I’ve had a quick google (I was worried about whether cancer cells could pass over the placenta) and feel better as the answer is generally no, but at the same time I feel I don’t have any of the harmless suggestions that were coming up (acid reflux etc). 

Any advice for someone going for their first appointment? As such a new mum my hormones are everywhere and I am struggling to eat, which I think is impacting my milk coming in properly. I just need answers and get the feeling that I have to push for them, as that has been my experience already. I keep staring at my week old baby and one year old who asked me this morning why mummy’s voice is different Disappointed

• Hi Epsilon'

On the plus side you are being seen by someone who will be able to take you forward..... hopefully it will be nothing sinister..... try to stay off Google.... nothing really helpful there for you just now.....at the referral stay alert and ask questions..... knowledge is power 

Best of luck 

Peter 

• Hi Epsilon, easier said than done I know, but try not to overthink it all, a sore throat can be for many minor reasons, you don't always know you have reflux, but it can give you a sore throat. Google is at best mostly out of date, try to stay off it. It is said on here many times, 90% of referrals, are not cancer. Regardless of whatever the out come is, you will be in good hands. If you can take someone with you, two pairs of ears are better than one. Good luck.

Ray. 

• Agree with others. 
    Reflux is common in pregnancy and silent reflux causes sore throat, the feeling that something is stuck there with no heartburn. Frequent throat clearing is common as is a hoarse voice. I’ve been there. 
    Are you seeing ENT or Gastro? Take somebody in with you. Make sure they examine your throat with a scope up your nose. 
    Chances are it’s not serious. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi As others have said please keep off dr Google over 90% of referrals aren’t cancer.Not all reflux is noticeable  as such it could be silent reflux. Please don’t overthink anything. Hopefully you’ll be seen soon in meantime concentrate on your little ones. 
    Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Thanks everyone! Worry not, I am too busy with the babies to be on dr google even if I wanted to! I am seeing ENT on Friday (actually pretty impressed at that quick turnaround) and until then I'm just chugging gaviscon and painkillers to get through the days...not that they help particularly. One side of my throat is fine and the other is so painful I just want to tear it out. If any more tips for an initial consultation spring to mind please enlighten me Slight smile

• If any more tips for an initial consultation spring to mind please enlighten me

In addition to taking somebody in with you take pen and paper or record it on your phone. Do not leave till you understand everything. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Don’t feel, rushed  don’t leave appointment until you’re clear in your head about what’s been said. Ask again if you're unsure and like Dani says pen and paper  or ask if you can record conversation in your phone. Dont go alone the minute you walk out of door your heads a shed. 
    best wishes and hopefully yiu won’t need us let us know how you get in when yiuve a minute. 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help