Sarcoma in jaw bone

• 4 replies
  • 69 subscribers

Hi everyone I’m back again just to update you on my last few months, not a lot has happened since I moved in January, seen new surgeon in March for check up, I feel bit out of water as not my own surgeon who operated on my tumour, he was fantastic st York hospital, so having had to move I’m referrred to Norwich hospital for the next stage, I’m still feeding through the peg can’t eat bits can’t swallow them but can eat soups puréed food custard etc, all a bit boring when watching others eating meals I wish I had teeth to chew on.

dental surgeon on June 11th to decide where we go from here but peg staying in (almost a year now )  until dental work is done as my mouth will be sore I’m told.

maxillo surgeon may 8th to decide what else needs doing ready for dentistry but I’m getting on with life, still dribbling get through rolls of kitchen towel, but hey I’m here alive and enjoying every day in our new home and area near to our kids x 

• Hi pleased the move went well and you’re nearer to the kids. You’ll get used to your new consultant I’m sure. Fingers x for dental work to give you  the ability to eat a varied diet. Keep in touch. 

hugs 

Hazel. 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Good evening Tiadota, thanks for this update, it sounds like a similar path I had when my lower jaw was reconstructed so well done on getting to this stage as it takes a lot of effort and determination, i had to wait 18 months after my jaw reconstruction before they looked at sorting my dentistry/dentures/implants out. My lower jaw had to have a distractor fitted so they could bulk it out making it stronger to accept implants. I am sure once your new consultant is happy with your progress, they can hopefully give you some teeth that should help with your dribbling and swallowing. Keep up the positive attitude and  enjoy your new home, take care. 

Chris xx

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Tiadora

Glad the move went well. It takes a while to get used to a new consultant so I do hope he turns out to be as nice as your old one. Mine is lovely. I have been with him for 10 years now and he always takes the time to explain things to me. I have another consultant also in the maxfax area as the two of them work together. This one is not nearly as forthcoming with his explanations even when I probe him for more answers. When I have a checkup with my first consultant as I see both of them at different times, he then fills me in on the info I want to know. It can be a bit frustrating.

I am the same as you although I do not have a PEG. Even with my new upper dentures I find it hard to swallow bits. I decided to get more adventurous with my pureed diet as it can get rather boring as you say. I bought a book of soup recipes and challenged myself to try every single recipe. Got a few more to go yet. Again same as you, dribbling away which does restrict me eating out. I buy loads of kitchen towel as well and have invested in some cotton hankies as I was going through so many tissues. Even with teeth now I still dribble but that is due to my lips not meeting properly. 

Like Chris I had to wait a while to get my upper dentures. (over time I have had both sides of my upper jaw removed and one side of my lower jaw) It was a year for me but I am so pleased with the result. Even though the dentures don't help that much with eating they look great. It is the grinding of the food that I find difficult, although with a lot of effort I can manage some soft food such as some pasta but add in the dry mouth and it is still rather challenging and takes ages so I don't often eat it. Can manage some soft lumps in my food now though.

I am also enjoying everyday and have got into a new hobby re-vamping different areas of my garden in an imaginative way as it was looking rather tired. Have finished my Zen garden and have just started on another area which is going to feature a fountain and lots of trailing plants. The vision may be better than the result.

Life is still great and glad it is for you too.

Lyn

Sophie66

• Hi...Thanks for the update. Hope you have settled in your new home. Can't have been easy with everything else going on 

Hi everyone I’m back again just to update you on my last few months, not a lot has happened since I moved in January, seen new surgeon in March for check up, I feel bit out of water as not my own surgeon who operated on my tumour

You build a rapport, don't you? I hope you find your new consultant suits you and that everything dental wise falls into place.

I'm saying g goodbye to my consultant in 13 days.....phew! It's been a long and bumpy ride. You'll be there before you know it. Hugs

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge