Partial tongue removal - I am so worried

• 22 replies
  • 72 subscribers

So after intial biospy found T1 or T2 NO MO.  Removal area in tongue and either selective neck disection or sentinel node followed oncology to be decided on. Assigned nurse.

Results MRI and CT back and MDT done and new outcome - the patholigist has re evalueated biospy to lower than T1 and consultant has now indicated that the regonised procedure has changed and it is much better outcome.  As you can imagine both myself and partner were elated.-it is wonderful news.  I understand that so many of you would have been overjoyed to hear this with your personal journey, So in many ways I am ashamed to come and lay this before you.

But for me the smiles and joy soon turned to panic as I was told the recognised treatment was partial tongue removal which would see a third tongue removed with the hope that in most cases this clears the cancer away.  I could also choose a sentinel biospy done first to see if in lymph nodes in neck - however it might not show anything.  It seems that the removal partical glossectomy in a high percentage totally removes cancer and the outcome will be intial speech and swallow problems.  I asked did a third of my tongue have to be removed if biospy downgraded and told over many years and best outcomes this was the practice..  I have worked with clients with swallow and speech loss (not cancer related) so naturally I brought this up.  Somehow I felt the extend was not expressed and the outlook was more one of the prospect of a higher chance of clearing the cancer away.  No mention of days in hosptial just how a further look into histolgy - but reassured by high percentage of positive outcomes

Since returning home I have found this https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files/11848Pglossectomy.pdf  which seems to go more in depth than I was told. ( I am not in this location)

So some questions first the tongue procedure and if I should have this and prior sentinel node biopsy ( co ordinating this might be difficult and could put surgery back) set for 2 weeks time.

My intial thought was have sentinel follinwing with mouth surgery.  But wondering if having partil tongue first is best choice rather than co ordinating the two. Geting over this first as my not need anything further.

I would be grateful for reassurance and if anyone has had this and can they share. there thoughts and experiences.  I really need other perspectives on this as I fear I am being painted a very reassuring picture where I have many buts.

A big thank you

• Hi Lanclassie I am female 65 and diagnosed with SCC right side of tongue T1N0M0 at the end of 2023.

my surgeon decided to do both procedures at the same time so surgery on 7/12/23 for removal of tumour and sentinel node biopsy.

The previous day I had scans with dye to identify which nodes the tumour was potentially draining too. Surgeon had the results the next morning in time for the procedure.

All went well approximately 2 hours. Surgeon told me he would remove one third of the right side of my tongue. I did have stitches but in general was not in a lot of pain other than when eating and drinking. Did have some throat and ear pain for about a week. I still have a lot of numbness and tingling but have been told this could last for up to a year before new normal is established. All very bearable.

i was very anxious about speech and swallow but very pleased with results. Swallowing ok but still need to be a bit careful with very dry foods as I still have numbness and badly scratched my throat on a couple of occasions. Speech is fine apart from when my tongue is very tired and then I have a slight lisp. Again recovery is ongoing.

follow up for 5 years now.

wishing you all the very best and try not to worry to much I was very much reassured that at my stage similar to yours they were aiming for cure. Don’t know where your tumour is but no one else would be able to see there is a bit of my tongue missing.

• Nice to hear how you are doing Teee7.

wishing you all the best for your continued recovery 

• Great to hear how your doing Teee7.

• thank you so much for this so reasuring - thankyou again

• I’ve written this 3 times and not sure where it’s going JoyJoy.

my excuse is just coming off night shift.

its so good to hear you’re doing well and continuing good wishes for recovery.

• ha! three times is fine! Yep, recovery going well - numbness is getting less, but tingling is still present, and showing no signs of diminishing, Uncomfortable to the point of painful at times, but I figure it's good pain if the tongue is regaining sensation.

• Hi there sweetheart.

My surgery was in October 2020. Estimated to be T2, but it ended up being bigger than expected and was revised to T3.

My lymph node biopsies were clear, but tbh, the protocol is nearly always to do a neck dissection on the affected side as a matter of course. Cancer can lurk, even tho post surgery mine were v fortunately still clear. My reconstruction unusually came from my left calf!

Oral scc is a really aggressive cancer, so the sooner you can have the surgery, the better.

It’s not a pleasant operation but it is basically life saving.

I’m in NW London, but am originally from S Wales.

I have put together a fact sheet about all I wish I’d known about diagnosis and surgery, which I’m happy to let you have.

I speak with a bit of a lisp, but was eating in restaurants within 6 months

I shall PM you xxx

• I speak with a bit of a lisp

I don’t think you do. At least I don’t notice. Wink

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Panch

Thankyou so much - Iam definently going ahead with the surgery as planned.  Just problem with the possibilty that the sentinel node biospy cant be done due to maintence - put hopefully all will fall into place.

Would love to hear from you.

Many thanks xx

• Check your private messages

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge