Tinnitus and hearing loss

• 9 replies
  • 74 subscribers
  • Evening All. My husband has had one dose of Cisplatin and due a second dose next week. He saw his oncologist last week and mentioned that he has slight tinnitus and hearing seems muzzy. She suggested that he might have to forgo the second dose. This worries me and just wondered if anyone has long term tinnitus or if they didn’t have the second dose due to hearing problems. Many thanks. 
  • Hi it’s not unusual if you have issues they often cancel the chemo or substitute carbo platin. I had 2 of a planned 3 chemo mine was cancelled as I had no issues and the lump  was no longer palpable so in conjunction with  oncologist decided not to have last one. Remember radiotherapy is the main course of treatment chemo is used as an adjunctive not the main treatment. 
    Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• I had 2 out of 6 Cisplatin which was stopped due to tinnitus which is still with me after more than 6 months since the chemo, i can hear it when its quiet. I am cancer free though Grinning

• She suggested that he might have to forgo the second dose. This worries me and just wondered if anyone has long term tinnitus or if they didn’t have the second dose due to hearing problems.

Cisplatin tinnitus can be permanent. As Hazel says the drug can be substituted. Cisplatin acts to sensitise the cancer to the radiotherapy and increases survival by 6%. Your husband’s oncologist should explain all this to you. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hello, I developed tinnitus and when I went in for my third round of chemo it was decided that I should stop rather than risk hearing loss.  So I had 2 out of the planned 5 or 6. I do still have tinnitus but it is nowhere near as bad as when I was on treatment.  I've since had a hearing test and do have some hearing loss (but it's not significant). 

• o I had 2 out of the planned 5 or 6. I do still have tinnitus but it is nowhere near as bad as when I was on treatment.

Isn’t it strange nothing is mentioned about hearing loss due to radiotherapy. I was four years along recovery before I noticed high end hearing loss in one ear ( the irradiated side) My audiologist was of the  opinion that it was the RT( there were other clues). When I asked at my next review my oncologist matter of factly  agreed. We looked at my treatment plan and you could see the cochlea in that side had taken a hit. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • It is a surprisingly common side effect of Cisplatin - and Cisplatin is used in a number of cancer treatments so there are some good stats.  I was so worried about the potential for tinnitus that I refused to have Cisplatin and insisted on Carboplatin.  This has some serious other side effects, but a very much reduced impact on hearing.  It is marginally less effective than Cisplatin.

I am glad I went that was as during my treatment I met a number of people reporting tinnitus.  My hospital gives the chemo in 6 doses rather than 2 large doses.  I think they do that so if you miss one it is not so much of an issue.

As Hazel says the Cisplatin is used where there is lymph node engagement and gives around 6.5% increase in effectiveness of the radiotherapy.  It is a belt and braces solution with the RT doing most of the work so if it is stopped any effect is likely to be marginal.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • I had tinnitus when I started treatment and also felt as if my ears were in a bucket. Definitely affected my hearing which wasn’t great to start with. I had all 6 cisplatin treatments . Now post treatment I have hearing aids 

• I too have tinnitus. I also have high end hearing loss in both ears which was picked up at my audiology appointment after treatment. My hearing was tested before and after treatment. Neither bother me that much. (Other things bother me more like my swallowing, dry mouth and my teeth).   They do frustrate me ever so often though.  The tinnitus is a continual hissing ringing white noise. But I only really notice it when it’s quiet.  As per the hearing loss, it’s fine when I’m one on one with people but if there’s a group or background noise I can’t hear.  I had both doses of Cisplatin.  Hope all goes well for your husband.  Sending good wishes to you both.  

• Just to add to this. I’m under treatment for cancer of lingual tonsil T2 N1 M0 and had one dose of cisplatin three weeks ago (210ml) and I’m currently in the Beatson hooked up to my second dose (reduced slightly to 190ml). 

I’ve had tinnitus.on and off since about 3/4 days after my first dose  of cisplatin (left ear so opposite from radiotherapy). 

oncologist decided to slightly reduce my second dose because of this.  

ita not too bad - as other have said worse when quiet and I’ve def had some other, minor, changes to my hearing.  

hoping they don’t get worse post this cycle and they they go away eventually - fingers crossed.