What to drink during radiotherapy for throat cancer

• 3 replies
  • 69 subscribers

My partner is currently mid way through his chemo radiotherapy for throat cancer in the base of his tongue. The radiotherapy is causing him to have really awful thick saliva and a very sore mouth and everything tastes horrible. He can't find anything to quench his thirst to doesn't taste awful to him or burn his mouth! Even tap water tastes really bad to him. We've tried loads of things but no joy. He can sometimes tolerate tea with milk but that's it. Just for context he is no longer eating and is feeding himself liquid food via a RIG into his stomach. Any good ideas on what to drink? 

• Hi  

welcome to the community. 
    Thirst is a real problem while you’re having RT and for quite some time after. I got some relief sipping diet ginger ale or diet cola. Soda water is good too. 
    Apart from the usual Difflam and Caphosol mouth washes you get Gelclair is soothing and soda bic/ salt keeps the mouth clean. 
    I use BioXtra mouthwash which is made for dry mouths and is emollient. That might be worth trying. 
    Hope some of this helps 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Sadly I couldn’t quench my thirst for a good while during and after treatment. I found bottled water more palatable than tap water I live in a hard water area which didn’t help. I also found boiled water left to cool until lukewarm easier. 
    flat Diet Coke swirled round my mouth helped to disperse some of thick Mucus also soda water. I had a humidifier for the bedroom which helped. Plus hospital gave me a nebuliser which helped thin the mucus. It’s all par for the course of our treatment. It doesn’t last forever. Bioxtra mouthwash on prescription helps as well. There will be light at end of the tunnel. 
    Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• To help with thickened mucus sparkling water tastes OK to me. Also, lemon juice or infused lemon water.  Not² as salty as other drinks. I can tolerate warm milky coffee or iced/cold coffee. Vanilla milkshakes are good and so is custard. I have been given Calshakes in chocolate, strawberry and neutral. The first 2 are a big no-no. The neutral ones I have added vanilla to and they have become palatable.

1. Not drinks, but as I said earlier, Custard is good. The other thing that's been great for flavour is Greek Yoghurt. Also anything cheese. I've been puréeing some veg and covering it with cheese sauce. It makes a perfect lump free meal