What to do

• 13 replies
  • 73 subscribers

I have just completed my 2nd week of radiotherapy and it is going ok but my tongue feels sore on the right side clearly it is the treatment impacting but is there anything else I can do?

It makes eating difficult  and on that point since my tonsillectomy I have no taste in fact it has become really difficult to continue eating a normal menu.

So for any of you that as gone through it how did you manage any little tips?

Thank you in advance

Tony

• Hi Hazel, John and everyone thank you for all your support today most welcome indeed.

I will heed all points made indeed it seems tough times lie ahead so I will use all your strength and do all I can to see it all through.

Thank you, Thank you.

Tony

• Hi Tony 

you’ll get there we all do. I’m a self confessed wimp but I did it . Just one day at a time don’t  think too far in advance snd baby steps. One ti always makes sure you’ve pain killers on a Friday as it’s a long time Friday to Monday and you can get it’s always Friday night when pain  ramps  up. 
    Hazel

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Tony 

Ah, the ulcers....sorry you are suffering with it. I had one that grew full length of right side of tongue from March to June. 

Can't add much in terms of meds, used the usual routines of caphosol (up to 10 times per day), gelclair, Difflam rinse, oxetacine, bioxtra gel. All brought some relief. Also swilled and spat soluble aspirin. 

I used my PEG for soluble paracetamol/ cocodamol at times as it really stung my mouth with the ulcer. 

I found lots of food suggestions like soup intolerable some days as they could reach every part of the ulcer! I found soft but thicker much better, so readybrek, weetabix & creme caramel all slipped down without irritating the ulcer. Also chewed at the left a lot. Ensure was fine too. 

Can't echo the other comments enough, get the pain relief sorted this week ready and in a liquid form. 

2 weeks done, 1/3 through treatment. You're getting there.

Take care, Ronnie