Tonsil cancer update.

• 9 replies
  • 69 subscribers

I'm totally confused now, my post biopsy discharge notes said x1 rt tonsil removed for biopsy x1 lt biopsy taken, or words to that effect, the consultant went home and the nurse said I'd had 1 tonsil removed yet I have x2 large holes equal in size in the back of my mouth with a white border around each,  this completely scared me until I saw online that it's normal , now the pain makes sense but why have two massive holes appeared 

• Mark. Phone your CNS and ask.

I put my trust in my clinicians and I knew they would try their best to save my life and I'm sure yours are doing their utmost too. Once all the biopsies scans and consults are examined by your MDT and you have a plan of action things will fall into place and you will feel better. You won't be in control (they are) but you can get through that and let them fix the problem.

Micro- analysing is simply going to drive you nuts. I knew all about my tumour because I am a vet and I understand these things but if you don't have the medical knowledge you will just frighten yourself by Googling every possible scenario. 

The waiting is rubbish but all you can do is keep busy.

You could always open a Wordpress account and write a daily blog....that gives you somewhere to vent and some modicum of control. You don't have to make it public; just use it as a diary

Onwards and forwards the job. You'll get through this

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you, I just don't like being kept in the dark , clearly both of my tonsils are either gone or very nearly, seeing the holes last night was a shock, the discomfort is probably the worst I've experienced which puts me down as I know the RT will be worst.

Had my liver mri today, more stress waiting on that result it's been suggested it's blood veins but if it's more serious I suppose that will change everything regarding my treatment plan.

• Tonsilectomy pain is right up there with RT pain I think Mark, plus with the RT you'll have access to top grade pain killers unlike (I imagine) now. I don't remember getting anything other than paracetamol and ibuprofin for tonsils.

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hi Mark Dani has summed it up. We all want supersonic speed but there’s a tried and trusted path. Try to keep off Dr Google you’ll only get yourself in a tizz. I asked about my right tonsil which was where the cancer was why hadn’t it gone was told it had been biopsied and the remsnbider would get blasted. 
    For  now keep on top of pain killers as day 7 is when the pain the pain kicks in. Radiotherapy pain is different you will be monitored daily by your team. Where’s now you’re on your own. 
    Yes ring your cancer nurse they are there to help. 
    Hopefuly histology will be back within the next 2 weeks.  Once you get your treatment plan things fall into place honestly they do. 
    Please don’t overthink. What I did was find some mind numbing box sets to pass the time. Did game of thrones didn’t understand it but it passed  the evening s on. Later watched it in recovery and enjoyed it. 
    Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• I just don't like being kept in the dark , clearly both of my tonsils are either gone or very nearly,

But it doesn't matter whether they are there or absent. Clearly you are going to need radiotherapy which will deal with the cancer

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi i know i seem overly concerned with my tonsils but my view is this, if any of the tonsil remains ill still be HPV positive and therefore its my view ill still be more likely to get cancer in the remains of that tonsil again.

i know its been mentioned that the tonsil should be destroyed with RT but im not sure and neither is my consultant.

So i woke up today in the most pain ive ever been in , :/ a pain killer soon sorted it :) 

Hazel you were totally correct although today was day 6 for me, im dreading waking up tomorrow, ha. 

I had my dental check today all ok, and my follow up is tomorrow, im hoping ill find out some sort of estimate for RT Tomorrow.

My mind keeps going back to my liver as ive not had the MRI Results back as yet, im hoping and praying its nothing more than what has been suggested, ie twisted veins, its 2cm in length and ive no symptoms that point to it being cancer, im not sure what the chances of getting two forms of cancer in a short period of time in different places is but i wish my results would come through.

thank you once again for your kind and informative replies, they really do help and as mentioned i do need to stop over thinking this situation im in.

Mark

• Hi mark hope the fore warning helped. Yes you are overthinking it. If I could photograph inside of my mouth for you to show what radiotherapy did to my h p v  tonsil and the wall plus uvula you would see  there’s nothing there. Please try n stop overthinking. You’ll have your treatment plan soon save your energy for that you’ll need it  once treatment starts you’ll understand where we are coming from  

Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi mark hope the fore warning helped. Yes you are overthinking it. If I could photograph inside of my mouth for you to show what radiotherapy did to my h p v  tonsil and the wall plus uvula you would see  there’s nothing there. Please try n stop overthinking. You’ll have your treatment plan soon save your energy for that you’ll need it  once treatment starts you’ll understand where we are coming from  

Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

• i know its been mentioned that the tonsil should be destroyed with RT but im not sure and neither is my consultant.

Your consultant is not sure if RT will destroy the cancer? I think you might have misunderstood. It sure destroyed mine and my cancer was in my tongue.

Believe me....if you have cancer in your tonsil it will be annihilated 

Just because HPV has been found in a biopsy doesn't mean there is HPV anywhere else

I keep saying this but it's true....when your plan is in place you will relax a bit, get your head down and get through it. We will all help

Dani 

Community Champion badge