Nasal Squamous cell cancer

• 291 replies
  • 84 subscribers

I was diagnosed with stage 4 in February last year and after MRI scan luckily it hadn't spread to lymph glands.

My nose collapsed and I had to have surgery which was a partial rhinectomy. My surgery was in June and most of the bone, front  and part of one side had to be removed. Unfortunately some of the cancer was left so had another operation in September removing most of the sides. This appears to have removed it all and after the slides were checked given the all clear. Waiting for my final face to face examination and then will have a prosthetic made. Will be monitored for 5 years.

This is a very rare form of skin cancer so not many people have had this operation. I wonder if there is anyone in this group who has had this done.

• haha plus the man whose nose came off whilst packing his shopping in Asda as  it dropped in the packing area, he said he didn’t know who was more embarrassed him, the girl on the till or the row of waiting shoppers.  It would make a change “unidentified item in bagging  area”.  

Trish x
  • I think we all feel like that sometimes

It does take time to get over the enormity of the situation especially for me when I found out it had spread to my lymph node and I had to have another operation. Also prior to my second lot radio/chemo following that op they thought it may affect my ability to swallow so they fitted a feeding tube into my stomach and I had to live with that dangling out of my stomach for nearly three months.

It was all a struggle as well for my wife who had to look on while all this was happening and try to keep a brave face.

I am trying now not to take a nap during the day hoping I'll sleep better at night.

I am sure we will all look back later this year and think what was all that fuss about.

Well I'm off to take it all out on the allotment and give them weeds some stick!

• My God! The resilience of the mind faced with such awful physical challenge never ceases to amaze me. 
    Thank you  

I just spat my tea out all over the phone. Didn’t want it anyway! 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • My God! The resilience of the mind faced with such awful physical challenge never ceases to amaze me. 
    Thank you  

I just spat my tea out all over the phone. Didn’t want it anyway! 
    ( Dog and nose) 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Its OK

I'm just a happy go lucky manic depressive really

Terry

• Gosh you have really been through it. Glad they could operate and you have had treatment as well. It's amazing what they can do these days. At least you have still got a sense of humour. I think that's what keeps us going. It's nice that you have an allotment to keep you busy. It will give your wife a break too. I went through it with my husband 12 years ago. He had lung cancer and asbestosis. It was difficult for both of us but he was such a strong and positive man who just kept going. 

Yes you are right later in the year we will be feeling normal again and at least the worst will have passed.

Lockdown will be over soon and it will be summer which will help with depression.

• Hi everyone hope your all feeling ok today.  Just a short note to say blood test has come back and I have now joined the type 2 diabetes club, not a choice I would of made.   The Gp rang me this morning and has issued two prescriptions one for high strength Vit D and the other glucophage 500 which I have to take before my main meal.  Hopefully these will suppress my hunger and I can get rid of some of the weight I have put on.  Apparently this is why I have been exhausted and struggling to get around due to shortness of breath.  Hopefully I should feel a little better when these all kick in.  Fingers crossed!!!! Still no teeth appointment, but blood pressure one and diabetic dietitian.... no more Cadbury’s chocolate you can bet.  People just don’t realise the struggle with no teeth (my excuse).  No seriously my grandkids will love me when they get the fridge chocolate bars. So onwards we go to fight another battle, you would think we have had enough for the time being.  Have a lovely day all 

Trish x
  • Sorry to hear you have diabetes as well. Everything seems to come all at once. You can always try diabetic chocoIate and sweets.

I have just started taking vitamin D so hoping they work. I have had a message to get a blood pressure test but it is normal. I had it taken by paramedic a couple of weeks ago after a fainting episode and was normal. I also have my own blood pressure machine and it is normal.

I am feeling better this week as we have had some sunshine. Energy levels getting a bit better and eating better as well. Managed a couple of meals this week. Managed to get up early a couple of mornings as well.

Hope you don't have to wait too long for your dental appointment. I'm due for an extraction and some fillings soon.

Hope the sun is shining where you are and you are feeling better.

• hi, it’s good to hear you have had some good days.  Yes I have started Vit D today too. Been to dr surgery and blood pressure is normal.  I’m waiting for him to get in touch with me now regarding my breathing.  It does make you feel better when the sun shines.  We have had quite a few days of sunshine this week.  I wish I could get up early, I spend too much time getting up through the night so when it gets to morning I’m fast asleep.  Looking at the sheet of foods I can have and not have really requires my teeth.  I will get in touch with them on Monday and see what’s happening. Let’s hope you are turning a corner now and you can get back to some normality. 

Trish x
  • Hi, how are you? I too had a full rhinectomy 4 years ago due to squamous cell followed by left side neck dissection 2 years later as it had spread to the lymph nodes, I am now 60 after having to wear a nose guard for a year I now have implants And wear a prosthetic nose which is much better, Ime very happy to help if you have any questions or concerns about anything just message me