Nasal Squamous cell cancer

• 291 replies
  • 82 subscribers

I was diagnosed with stage 4 in February last year and after MRI scan luckily it hadn't spread to lymph glands.

My nose collapsed and I had to have surgery which was a partial rhinectomy. My surgery was in June and most of the bone, front  and part of one side had to be removed. Unfortunately some of the cancer was left so had another operation in September removing most of the sides. This appears to have removed it all and after the slides were checked given the all clear. Waiting for my final face to face examination and then will have a prosthetic made. Will be monitored for 5 years.

This is a very rare form of skin cancer so not many people have had this operation. I wonder if there is anyone in this group who has had this done.

• Gosh you are having an awful time of it. I had liquid morphine when I came out of hospital but only for a short time. It was brill for my arthritis as well. I'm on Zapain and asked for stronger but my doctor wouldn't give them to me because they are addictive. Would only take them when needed so can't see the problem. Waited a couple of months and asked for a referral to the hospital pain clinic. On the waiting list now. My friend has been waiting a year.

I too get irritation and tickling. Worse is an itch and you can't scratch it. Strangely enough i don't feel like alcohol and drink lots of water. Odd because I was always out drinking but have saved loads with lockdown.

I have asthma so breathing is bad at times anyway. Have two inhalers and take a Montelukast tablet at night. Maybe you should get checked for asthma. Can develop anytime. Mine was stress related.

Think we have all put weight on with lockdown. I don't feel hungry some days but force myself to eat a meal. I prefer cakes, biscuits and chocolate to a meal. Ha ha don't we all.

Hope you get sorted with your blood test and tablets. Yes a nose party would be good laugh.  I am in Manchester.

Enjoy your day.

• The irritation and tickling is the worse thing ever when you can’t get to it. I will check down the asthma road too.  My other half  says he has saved a great deal not visiting the pub.  I attended the pain clinic after my back op as I have nerve problems down my leg.  It was a strange place with funny ideas, they said when you go to bed think only if one word and keep repeating it till you drop off to sleep, I chose yes but by the time I got to 2090 yeses I was still awake!  I have limited myself to 10 squares of dairy milk per day, which is working ok.  I prefer savoury though.  Can’t wait for fish and chips and a packet of kp salted nuts.  I have made another friend on here too. She had the original op I thought I was having, Septum  removed and a bone from the back of the ear put  in place of the septum.  She has had issues too with it and we have become firm friends.  She is in exactly the same age group too.  I’m from Wakefield hence the name but now live in the Suffolk area.  I have a car so no problems for the party.

Trish x
  • Prosthetic sounds ok. Will feel false as it's just cosmetic. There are so many nerves and arteries in a nose it would be impossible to make one with movement like a real nose. Sounds like you're coping with it tho. I'll have to get one with my natural skin colour and one with my make up colour so you cant see the joins ha ha.

I don't have any motivation for days then suddenly find a bit of energy to hoover up and dust. Takes a bit out of me though. I suffer from panic attacks and low blood pressure at times which makes me feel faint so only go out when necessary. Takes a few days to gear myself up to going to appointments but get there. Probs be better in the summer when it's warmer. Can't stand cold weather.

I try to be positive as much as possible but the tiredness and fatigue gets me down at times. 

• I don't wear my dentures all the time. Just for eating and going out. They take a bit of getting used to and may need some alteration if they feel loose and are rubbing. Had an occasion in the pub when they almost fell out. Gave everyone a good laugh though.  I had mine altered but glue them in if I am going to eat steak or something chewy. You will feel better once you get them made as you will be able to smile again. Hope you get them soon.

• From what they said when I went for mine, quantity is not an issue, we could probably get one for each quarter then the colour will fit.  I just wish I felt better with more energy as there are lots of things I could do if only I had the energy.  I sort of have one day go for it and another 10 no can’t do it.  I will check down the asthma route too just to make sure its not that.  I was solely tempted to buy a red nose and glue it on, my family would have thought it hilarious haha 

Trish x
  • Yes so do I a year is a long time without teeth.  No wonder the only time we have none we are too young to know it. I have some fix it stuff just to be on the safe side. It’s good we can all still laugh. 

Trish x
  • That's good. I will have to get a noses box. Yep that's me with energy levels but I just think get things done when I can. Yes do get checked for asthma. Will make a difference with inhalers. Yes go and get a red nose. Your family will love it. I'm looking out for one in the joke shop whenever I can find one.

• They gave me a nose box, same as a denture cleaning box, glue and cleaner too. So you may get everything you need 

Trish x
  • This is really helpful about the cleaning. Don't let the family see you sniffing the white powder though. Ha ha. 

Yes it would be fun to compare noses. I am in Manchester.

• Don't do what I did one day.

I was just holding my nose on with my glasses and bent down to pick something up and it fell off. Unfortunately we have  dog who believes there is such thing as the 3 second rule and disappeared with it into the garden