Post surgery neck dissection question

• 4 replies
  • 70 subscribers
Dear all,
I am now just over 4 months post surgery.
I have a query regarding my neck dissection, last week my neck started to feel quite thickened, tightened and fuller. It happened fairly quickly, and hasnt regressed. Visually it doesn't look much different, it's predominantly how it feels. Very pronounced when moving my head side to side or up and down.
I wondered whether this is expected post surgery, and could be related to nerve regeneration and scar tissue?
Many thanks
  • Hi MrFox

Sounds very much like fibrosis or soft tissue damage as my team sometimes call it.  It's quite a common late effect of neck dissection, especially when followed with rt.

It's really important that you try to retain flexibility in your neck muscles as much as possible so gentle exercises are required.  I saw a physio at the hospital for about a year after my treatment.  It hasn't prevented me from getting fibrosis but she did instruct me in the correct way to do exercises to help.  If you have a clinical nurse it might be an idea to let her know what you're experiencing.

Good luck.

Linda x

• Thanks Linda, appreciate the reply. There was no RT involved, however I do suspect you're right about it being scar tissue. I will ping the question to the clinical nurse as you suggested. Thank you

• Hi Mr Fox. Not sure from your description, but it could be Lymphoedema. A generalised soft swelling of the neck, starts about 2-4 months post-surgery or radiotherapy. It sometimes feels odd/heavy/tight before you can see it. Look it up and see if it fits for you, or ask your team. If it is lymphoedema, Prompt treatment is the ideal, If it isn’t, then you might get a quicker answer by getting Team involved. As Linda has said, could also be fibrosis - get going on some neck stretches, or more importantly get some help making sure you do the right exercises/stretches by getting a referral to a Physio.

Good luck and hope you find an answer

Hilary

• Hi

I had 2 neck dissections and no other treatment a year ago.  I would say that you are probably correct in your assumptions re post surgery.  However always get it checked out.

I know they went into my neck.  That area does not hurt - I do check it regularly -but it is stiff and there has been some nerve damage that looks like it is permanent relating to my shoulder muscles.  Not too debilitating, more annoying.

I had physio organised by my GP and that was excellent (but strange as it was in lockdown 1 and via telephone!!) although they really did not improve my movement they did help me understand and cope with the post surgery issues.

One thing that I find does help me is when I shower using a "massaging" shower head on a very hot setting for a few minutes onto my neck and chest.  It does easy it and the massaging effect seems to keep it under control.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey