Diagnosis Day

• 9 replies
  • 71 subscribers

2 weeks on from tonsillectomy. Consultation today and it was confirmed T1N2M0 HPV+ tonsil scc. Thankfully histology showed nothing in left tonsil or other biopsies taken.

Plan is 6 weeks chemo-rt (6/30). Beforehand need another ct scan, mask and PEG fitting (they had advised do it before starting treatment as precaution).

Thanks to the pre-reading and this forum the number of surprises weren't too high today, only one really was the PEG. All pretty grim sounding, but I guess they have to lay it all out. 

• Hi Ronnie 

Not that you wanted to have cancer confirmed but it’s small and HPV positive which makes it eminently curable. Stick with us here there are lots of helpful tips and shoulders to lean on. 
    I wasn’t offered a stomach tube but had a nasogastric tube when I needed it. It achieved the same thing. 
    Get them to cut eyeholes in the mask. 
    Best wishes 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Ronnie 

All.the planning sounds pretty much the norm for your diagnosis.  Not all centres recommend a PEG but it seems the majority do.

As Dani says, plenty of support and advice on this forum should you require it.

All the best.

Linda x

• Good evening Ronnie, sorry to hear this news, well done in reading up about it all on here or any other cancer forum instead of Google otherwise you would be pulling your hair out with worry. So as Dani says stick with us and we will give the best advice available from people who have been through similar. The PEG is ok some patients get a couple of days of settling in discomfort but on the whole, it's nothing to worry about, I have a PEG since 2009 continuous with no issues. Wishing you all the best, take care.

Chris 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Ronnie

As much as no one wants the diagnosis.  It's better to know so they can get on and treat it.  I did not get a peg..but i regretted it later as I had real issues with the gastric nasal tube..you will be fine and HPV does generally respond better to treatment... stay positive and good luck

.chas

• Thanks Dani,

They definitely left me feeling hopeful of the end result yesterday, despite the honesty about the journey ahead. 

Will make a note of the mask tip, thanks. 

Hope you are doing well

Ronnie

• Thanks Chris,

Feeling a bit more reassured about the PEG from your comment. Has a stunned moment or two to start with when they said about it. 

Take care, 

Ronnie

• Thanks Chas,

Again, feel more reassured.

Take care, 

Ronnie

• Hi Ronnie. At least you know where you are now, and that the prognosis is excellent. I had an almost identical diagnosis in the autumn (see my profile) and have had pretty much the same treatment.  (I only had 5 sessions of chemo and wasn’t offered a PEG, however.)

I am now two weeks post-treatment and things are starting to improve.

Everything can seem a bit scary at the outset of the journey so please feel free to contact me if I can be of any help.

All the best. M

• Thanks,

So good to hear from you coming out the other side of this roller coaster!! 

Hope the recovery speeds along!!

R