Here we go round the Mulberry Bush

• 262 replies
  • 79 subscribers

Hello All

Last May I was diagnosed with SCC of the Epiglottis, had 2 lots of Laser Resection and got clear margins.  Thought great that wasn't too bad I have beaten Cancer...….

Well check up in January not too bad said the stump was slightly raised come back in 5 weeks instead of six.  Two weeks later I developed a lump on my top lip.  Saw my dermatologist and he said you need to see maxilla facial I am certain this is a SCC.  So I bought forward my check up by a week and they called Maxillo facial in.  By now lump had grown, they did a biopsy same week and it is cancerous.  At the same time a new growth was noticed on my Epiglottis, so was referred for biopsy.  While this has been going on Respitory have been watching a couple of lung nodules.  So I have a possible 3 sites of Cancer.  Been to MDT today and Radiotherapy is the treatment for my lip.  Biopsy still needs to be done on Epiglottis, but Pre op would not clear me for surgery until I get results of latest lung scan also done today.  I feel like I am going round in circles waiting for someone to make the first move and no one can tell me if I have a secondary on the lip from the Epiglottis or a new primary I am getting so confused with what is going on.  I was trying to ask questions today and the Radiotherapist consultant said we have to get started or opt for Chemo for palliative care.  Are you all confused yet because I am.  So then the dentist arrived and thank god I have good teeth so no delays to start of Radiotherapy as the lip tumor is still growing and too large for surgery that might leave me with something resembling a face.  Was warned that it will be very painful because of nerve ending etc.  It is already so not sure how I am going to cope with even more pain and struggling to get any food in my mouth already and drinking through a straw so HELP...

• Hi Mo

Thank you I must admits I do feel safer over here .The spanish are excellent at obeying orders if the government say jump they don’t ask how high they justbdo it. I walked to supermarket this morning about 3 Km passed 2 people and we nodded but kept our distance. Schools pubs restaurants all shops aparts  from chemist and newsagents are shut and no social gatherings what so ever. Onky ones person in a car unless goingbto hospital onky I enjoy person a time out shopping. Can’t see that working at home  like you say kids already arranging to meet uo cinemas still open worrying times .

sorry yiur appointment been ch aged again but glad you are remaining positive, postive mental attitude will get you there. When they do mask fitting a scan will also be done then the technician s then work their magic in algorithms for your  treatment. Sending hugs hugs

Love Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Nice to hear you met up with lovely person on your walk Mo with the offer of help.  Good to get uplifting stories at the moment.

Fingers crossed for next Friday.

Linda x

• It does sound as if you're in the right place at the moment Hazel.  Somewhat haphazard and chaotic here.

Take care.

Linda x

• Hi Linda

looking at the news tend to agree with you ,the lockdown means lockdown 

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Got my NHS 12 week isolation text today, not sure if surgery will happen on Friday.  Not even sure if I want it to  might be risky going anywhere near the hospital.  Mask moulding put off until 22nd April as they want the results of biopsy excision from new throat growth.  I am thinking that although the cancer is growing I am not in immediate danger but don't think I would survive the virus with state of my lungs etc.  Really acting brave but scared silly as I cannot see any light at the end of this tunnel.  What bad timing to get ill during this world crises.  My lip has really taken off, when I saw MDT on 6th March it was 2.5cm x 2 its now 4 cm x 2.5 its all so scary and then all the idiots down the beach at the weekend.  I am in Hampshire and cases are pretty high.  Not even allowed to walk the dog now got to stay at home.  Not got high stocks of anything as been avoiding the supermarkets because of the crush of people.  Its going to take a long long time for the world to get over this.  Guess we are all in some form of shock and disbelief.  Lets hope we get through it.

Keep safe Mo xx

• Hi Mo, are not allowed to walk the dogs once a day as part of the exercise period we are allowed, this is a tricky one reference the operation, I would have thought you would be put in an isolation ward once it's done and during recovery due to any problems that might occur. But I can see why you are worried as your immune system would be at risk with your lungs. You sure could not have picked a worse time to have your surgery etc. Hope they will let you know on Friday what their intentions are, i.e does it have to be done now or can it wait without causing more issues. We will get through it all if we stick and support one another. Sending a virtual hug (( )), take care stay safe Mo .

Chris xx

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Unfortunately I got the NHS high risk text to say I was not allowed to leave my house but could open a window.  Got to stay indoors for 12 weeks.  Very confused by it all as I will have to provide some form of sick note but you cannot get these at the moment am sure we will get more information as it goes along.  My other half is still working so tomorrow am going to clear out the spare room and move in there its too late tonight by the time I am getting my head around things they change again.  On a silly note I apparently screamed out to get away from me and punched my other half in the middle of the night last night.   God knows what is going through my head at the moment.  Not eating or sleeping well at the moment bad enough getting the cancer without all this other stress.  Also have COPD on top of the lung nodules which they seem pretty convinced are cancerous but not growing fast so leaving them alone.  Crohns is starting to kick off with stress of it all.  My other half has got himself in a right state and is worrying about me so trying to keep him calm as well.  Dog and cat seem to know something is not right and both are playing up.  My other half had a serious motorcycle accident just over 3 years ago, he had three bleeds on the brain and if he gets too stressed his brain doesn't connect properly.  He has me being ill, his dad is 93 and on lock down in a home in Switzerland, he has dementia so cannot even telephone him as he gets confused about phones etc and is getting cross with everyone as he does not understand the gravity of what is going on in the world.  We are also worried about our children and grandchildren but dare not see them.  I am normally a very upbeat happy person but have to admit to a few tears over all of this.  Hope you are keeping well.

Sorry for rant 

Love Mo xx

• Bless you, Mo, i did not realise what a tough time your family is going through, maybe after a couple of days you will settle down to a routine. These things are sent to try us so hand on in there, we are here if you need to talk or vent, which is quite acceptable on here as most of us have gone through rough times, it just makes life so difficult with this virus hanging around. Nothing wrong with shedding tears, it's better than bottling it up. Yes pets do know when things are wrong and I am sure they will help you with their special kinda love, what would we do without them. Love and hugs .

Chris xx

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mo

like others have said rant away all day on here if you need to. Hope op still going as planned on Friday? 

Stay safe try some meditation videos if you can or some music ,one cancer was bad enough I really send all my love to you and your family. Hope you can at least FaceTime your kids and grandkids the Internet has its bad points but it also has it’s good ones the forums will come into their own i think 

sending hugs

Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

• Hi Mo, I’m really sorry to read all of this. You’re certainly going through the mill.

We’ve had a 12 week isolation text too but we have 2 boys at home to walk the dogs.

What sicknote are you waiting for? I understand there are going to be some Corona sick notes available directly from 111 but I’m certain you would be entitled to a sicknote from your GP anyway if you need one for work or to be able to claim benefits.

I used to work for DWP so I’ll help any way that I can.

Yes my hubby used to shout and hit out during the night when he was having his treatment. We don’t have a spare room so even though he’s the 12 week isolation one we are still sleeping in the same bed but I’m isolating myself with him. 

I think we’re all shedding a few tears right now so you’re not alone xx

Sharon xx

Hubby - Left tonsil squamous cell carcinoma P16 positive with neck nodes T1N1M0 - 30 fractions of radiotherapy and 6 weeks of chemotherapy, Cisplatin in December / January 2019/20

Me - Invasive lobular breast cancer - Grade 2, Stage 2 - mastectomy October 2019 - 15 fractions of radiotherapy December / January 2019/20