Female esophagel cancer sufferers

• 60 replies
  • 72 subscribers

Hi. I am a female recently been diagnosed with OC which is much more common in men. It is localised & hasn't spread so doctors are positive. Due to start chemo to shrink it as much as possible before surgery. Would like to hear from other female OC sufferers as I feel the odd one out. Julia

• Hi Julia

Sorry you are in this club. I’m another lady with oesophageal cancer. I’m 37 and have squamous cell carcinoma and different treatment to you. I am 10 days into my 23 day treatment of daily radiation and weekly chemo. I was very active before like you. I am a little more tired than usual on an evening and swallowing is harder as my treatment makes the area inflamed  but I’ve still been managing to run, swim and ride my bike. Don’t lose hope! I ran 8 miles last Thursday! It helps with the pains I get and clearing the mucus from the treatment and I just want to stay fit to recover from possible surgery I can have in autumn. Good luck with your treatment. X

• Hi I wanted to reach out as I too have OC it’s squamous cell. I had 12 weeks of chemo/radiotherapy a mix of IV and tablets and I found out yesterday that it’s not got rid of all the cancer and they have seen spots on my lungs from my CT scan in May but can’t be certain if it’s spread to the lung. I was wondering how you are after your scan and treatment ended? 

• Yes, in a hard to locate place at the junction down bottom of Esophagus 

• Mines in a place at this stage that they can’t offer surgery I’m hoping this next line of treatment called immunotherapy gets rid of it or makes it small enough they can cut it away, wish you well with your treatment 

• Hi sounds like we are in a similar situation I’m 43,  mine appears to be no longer in my lymph node hopefully scan will show it’s not in my lung as spots have popped up on May scan, I’ll start immunotherapy in September so currently swallowing has improved massively and I can have a good 6 weeks summer holidays with my 6 year old daughter. I started the 5k challenge too 

• Hi ladies Slight smile anyone else read Google for reassurance and it just makes anxiety worse? I fear the unknown and desperately want treatment to work. I keep getting pangs of fear and panic set in im trying to stay positive but i keep thinking the worst and wondering what’s going to happen 

• I've stopped looking at google. Some websites are encouraging but some of them are all doom & gloom. Instead I listen to cancer care nurses and Macmillan. And I try to remember the positive words from UG consultant & the surgeon who are hopeful of a positive outcome. I have friends who have had breast cancer, ovarian & bowel cancer but I dont know anyone whose had OC. Thats why ive come to this forum. Nurse said everyone's different & statistics are not always reliable. Also some OC sufferers  could have have had other health probs too

• Good luck with your immunotherapy & your 5K challenge

• Good luck with immunotherapy and your 5K challengs

• I need to step away from Google. Same as me during my chemo/radiotherapy treatment I never saw anyone my age or gender either which I found very hard. Thank you for your kind words I’m now focusing on the positive outcomes I’ve read about this treatment for OC and this has helped me today as I’ve been feeling very depressed last few weeks