Just been diagnosed with adenocarcinoma in the bottom of my oesophagus last weds, had a cat scan looked quite normal, said one of the area around a lymph node looked a bit hot , going for a pet scan next weds, am aged 55 and still pretty fit and strong,

• 4 replies
  • 64 subscribers

Had a bit of regurgitation and stabbing chest pains about 6months ago, about 3months ago started to notice had problems swallowing certain foods, mainly some meats and crusty thick bread, still eating most foods and haven’t lost a massive amount of weight. Still get stabbing pains now and again. Some days I’m up, some days I’m down suppose that’s quite normal, trying to take things in my stride.

• Hi there! 

Try and be mentally strong with a positive attitude.  I was like that and even after the op and chemo.  You have good days and bad days.

While you are waiting for all the tests and results. Use this time wisely to get fit for the op and eat healthily.  Prepare yourself.  I found that a positive attitude helped me get through everything and took each test/appointment as a battle that needed to be won. Was it was over I forgot about it and focused on the next.

No sooner you start this journey  - you will find yourself getting through it as well as overcoming everything that is thrown at you. 

You are really lucky that you hadn't began losing weight hopefully it has been found in the early stages etc. 

All the tests that you will have will determine the stage of the illness as well the treatment that you will he offered. 

I hoping you will find out soon. Please let us know how you get on.

Stay safe,

Rf2k18 

• Thanks for the reply Rf2k18, trying to stay positive, eating well , still going to the gym everyday like I did , hardest thing is trying to sleep. Must admit mentally it’s challenging, see a letter I have to hand into my GP, said my staging after c/t scan was T3N1M0.hopeful at moment.

• Hi Haybag

Sorry to read about your OC diagnosis, but it is good to read that you are still going to the gym and keeping as positive as you can.

My Husband Dal, was diagnosed with Stage 4 Oesophageal Cancer with secondaries in his lung, liver and lymph nodes, at the beginning of May 2020, T3N3M1 GOJ , I am hoping with your diagnosis you will be able to be treated positively, it is just the waiting that is difficult.

With the foods, we found switching to fruit and veg high in anti-oxidants and adding superfoods green powder to smoothies helped massively.

Macmillan are here for you, they can be contacted on the number in my signature below, should you need further support or advice at a professional level. 

Welcome to the forum, there is a great amount of support available to your here. 

Keep Positive

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • Thanks for the reply lowedal, yes trying to stay positive and focused at the moment, been eating a varied diet still, something’s are getting harder to swallow. Been juicing for years so not a problem with fruit and veg intake, will get some super greens supplements to add to my smoothies .got a pet scan weds. At moment I’m T3N1M0, hopeful of a positive outcome., but onwards and upwards if not.  All the best haybag.