Treatment if surgery was not an option

• 2 replies
  • 6 subscribers

Hi all.

I'm new here and hoping that one of you may be able to help me please.

My dad has just had a failed Whipples procedure a couple of days ago. He has a tumour at the Ampula of Vater which they were trying to remove. When they opened him up, they found another tumour in the duodenum and so couldn't proceed with the rest of the surgery unfortunately. We have been told that he will likely be offered chemo, but it is unclear how long we'll have to wait to see an oncologist and what type of chemo will be offered. It has taken 3 months to get to this point already and four earlier procedures to try to put in a stent/drain the bile ducts/take a biopsy so we'd really like to know what to expect. Has anyone been in this position and can tell me what type of chemo they were offered and whether it helped or not? We understand that it is not curable, which has been hard to take, and would love to mentally prepare ourselves for the next stages. Thank you.

x

• Hi, if you read my biography you will see my path, I think it took about four weeks from cancellation of sugery to starting chemotherapy. my chemotherapy was capecitabine tablets and Oxalyplatin infusion. I finished treatment over a year ago and pending results of my latest scan I currently have no active cancer. 

Best wishes to you and your father

Sarah 

•    my Mum in a similar position now. Surgery not an option. Offered EOX. How is your Dad?