Remission

• 9 replies
  • 16 subscribers

I am 18 months in remission. Although I am improving. I still struggle everyday . I am so tired all the time .how long does recovery take as I find it really hard  

• Hi again  and it's good to hear from you and great to hear you are now 18 months in remission.

The 'how long is a piece of string question'...... recovery will be ever so different for everyone.

It often does depend greatly on what you did or did not do during your treatment...... if you were not that active during your treatment the recovery just takes a long time as your body has to rebuild both your muscle mass and your energy resources.

I also had Stem Cell Transplant and it took a good two years to say I was back on track.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Glad to hear you are well now . Thankyou for the advice 

• Hi.

It is a gradual thing, I think at some point close to two years a realised I was more or less back to normal. Its all a big waiting game I'm afraid.

Three years post treatment now and discharged from hospital. 

• Thankyou 

I am supposed to be on 4 monthly checkups face to face . But this one was changed to 5 months via phone . Strikes I suppose 

• Did you get CMR Lynelyn? (Complete Metabolic remmission) If so you like me kinda hit the jackpot.  As my old and dear friend Mike said.. how long is a piece of string!! (Hi Mike btw)

Imagine asking, how long does it take to train to run a marathon...with no other info! The ONLY constant s the treatment kicks you good and hard!

If you went into it on day one fit as a butchers dog, you WILL probably fair better than a couch potatoe!! I was the former, ex military and well above average fitness wise. That said it was ONLY after 12-18 months that I started to get back to 'normalish' 

If you train, workout, swim, cycle, run etc etc...you will be fitter and healthier than those who don't...I know its stating the blindingly obvious! And even if you feel like you cant...Then YOU MUST!

Every disciplined action has multiple rewards...non more so than staying fit and eating well!!

My guess is you are at the point where you start to leave the effects of treatment behind you and start to feel better. I never regained 100% fitness....but that's ALSO age related! I STILL can't believe I am now the same age as OLD PEOPLE!!! 

I turn 68 in march next year..but age is JUST a number, I'm parachuting into Arnhem from.a military aircraft next week to commemorate the 79th anniversarry of Operation Market Garden!

Hope you feel better soon..Oh btw I'm 5 years in remission next month!

• Hi 

you sound marvellous. Good luck on your jump and thanks for the advisec

• Hi  my friend and good to hear from you. Have a great time next week….. what do you all say? ‘tight lines’……. I don’t think it’s break a leg Wink

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• As has been said, it depends on what treatment you were given and what state you were in when you started.

I got Lymphoma first in 2008, was given radiotherapy which stopped the growth in my neck then 6 lots of RCHOP starting a couple of months after that. Of course, I was 59 then and reasonably healthy to start with so 6 months after the treatment ended I was OK, although I now have to have B12 injections because it permanently messed up my absorption of that particular vitamin.

This time (2022/23) I was older and more weak and ill to start with. A PET scan showed the first two months of R-GDP hadn't worked because of pneumonia so they changed the regime to 6 sessions of Pola-BR every 3 weeks. That finished on June 16th and I've had a complete metabolic response to the treatment. However, after it ended I've had lots more side effects than I had while being treated, some of which are worse now and some of which are better. Also I've had a fall since treatment ended, resulting in some spinal damage. I'm still very weak but doing various exercises is improving things very slowly. 

It's good to know (if slightly depressing) that recovery is a longer process than the first time, so hopefully I can relax a bit and not be so impatient. Best wishes for your own recovery.

• Hello. I'm a 33 year old guy, I'm roughly 14-16 months clear. I have good weeks and bad weeks. I'm now at the point I'm exercising more using free weights and walking 10k steps fine. It's taken me a while to get here. lots of brain fog, depression and fatigue, but slowly slowly.