First Rchop session completed - thank you for your support

• 4 replies
  • 12 subscribers

just want to thank everyone in this group that has helped me support my mum through her first Rchop session she coped really well and one of the other patients said at the end of the 9 hours wow you definetly came prepared and that is down to this group 

shout out to the Highlander as you were there behind a screen when I first posted to say how scared we were with the devastating diagnosis 

I am absolutely in awe of anyone that is facing this 

• Hi  this is great news and I am ever so pleased  that your mum has had a good first treatment….. I always say 90% planning 10% execution.

Everyone reacts ever so differently after treatment. I had over 750hrs of very strong chemo spread over my 6 x 6 day/5 night cycles and honestly I did ok.

Nausea may be a challenge, but remember she must not to suffer in silence as there are lots of tools available - but her team need to know how she is getting on as at time it is trial and error to get the right one.

Cancer-related fatigue may well build up over time so take each day as it comes but at the same time keep some activity going as this does actually help overcome some of the fatigue..... the less she does the longer the recovery….. fresh air is a great healer.

There is a real Risk of infection so care needs to be taken to control infection contacts. Generally it takes about 48 to 72 hours for your body to break down and/or get rid of most chemo drugs. But the effects of the chemo on growth areas and your general immune system will last for weeks and is important to remember that she may well be more open to infections at about days 7-14 as this tends to be the window when our immune system is at its lowest……. then your body recovers in time for your next cycle….. but the more chemo you have the longer the recovery can take so by the end of treatment it could take a few months this to recover completely.

I was given this simple rule for keeping eye on infections…… If my temperature is 37.5°C, repeat in one hour. If my temperature has increased, whether I feel unwell or not, I must contact the hospital.

I would also highlight the importance of drinking lots of water as this will flush out all the toxins released by the chemo and protects the kidneys.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Mike you are amazing she had a reaction to the chemo her legs ballooned in front of her eyes and as she has leg type it is also causing pain. It’s getting the balance isn’t it between elevating legs but moving to Day 5 here we come! Thank you for your support as always 

• Mike where can we get support for the family? It’s opening up a whole raft of emotions and sharing the caring is not really happening is there anything to help through Macmillan 

• The cancer journey can indeed affect everyone.

Do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area and also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing.

You can call the Macmillan Support Line teams are available 7 days a week, 8am-8pm on freephone 0808 808 00 00email or live webchat where you will find one of team there to help you out and may have information about support in your area.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Lymphoma Action run regular Support Platforms with groups specifically for carers ..... I highly recommend these groups as there is nothing better than talking with other who are walking the support journey.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge