Voice

• 5 replies
  • 12 subscribers
  1. Hi there. I play guitar and sing but after 3 rounds of r chop my voice started to become weaker and now after 4 I’ve lost all my higher notes. Has this happened to anyone else and has your old voice returned? 
  • Hi and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups. 

I don’t have DLBCL but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of Low Grade NHL eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Lymphoma ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

I had the big brother of R-CHOP (R-EPOCH) and these treatments can be a big hit to ALL the body so what you are experiencing is rather normal.as these treatments do bring Side Effects

I also play guitar (and sing at times) and experienced exactly the same. You have to remember that the chemo is not only attacking your cancer presentation area(s) but will also effect healthy cells all over your body as it looks for cancer cells that may have escaped the growth areas.

Your voice will return just the same as you general activity levels once treatment has finished and you have had time to recover. 

Fatigue gradually builds up over time so try and not over do things but at the same time keep some activity going including your voice but don’t force it.

I could not play my guitar for a long period of time as I had very bad Peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage) but again this all came ok once treatment as finished and my body had time to recover.

Always around to chat and answer questions ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike you’ve given me hope that my voice will return. Until then I’ll have to choose deep voiced songs. For the odd high note I jump down an octave. Sounds weird but I don’t care. I’ve lost all my inhibition filters now. It’s very liberating but can cause problems with one’s nearest and dearest. 

• You find your own way to navigate this and sometimes it does not fit in with family and friends ‘idea’ as to how you supposed to live and react during the journey.

To widen your support you may want to check out the Lymphoma Action website.

Lymphoma Action is the only UK Lymphoma Specific Charity who have lots of good reliable information, videos and run regular Lymphoma Action Support Platforms for patients...... I highly recommend these groups as there is nothing better than talking with other who have walked the journey.

They also have a great Lymphoma Action Buddy Service where people can be linked up with someone who has walked the same treatment journey.

They also have a Lymphoma helpline on 0808 808 5555 where Sharon or Nic will be on hand to give you some support - open every week day from 10 till 3.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike. I’m now hopeful