Just diagnosed with High grade Diffuse Large B Cell NHL stage 2 and have had first R-CHOP

Hi everyone

I have recently been  diagnosed with High grade Diffuse Large B Cell NHL stage 2 and have had my first  round of R-CHOP. It has been a difficult period for my adult children as sadly my husband had the same and passed away through a infection. I am feeling very fatigued and sick but have chosen to continue to work to keep some normality in my life. I am very anxious about infection due to my husband and i am struggling to do normal things in my day to day life. My husband was admitted to hospital with a infection and passed away 6 weeks later as he picked a super bug up also whilst in hospital and went into renal failure. I know the chances are low but this is dominating my life at the moment any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

  • I know it's a very difficult time my 24 years old son passed away after stem cell transplant.He had a good recovery but admitted in the hospital with suspected infection and passed away within 7 days with kidney and liver failure.

    You are in a good position as stage 2 is highly cureable and excellent prognosis 

    Stay strong and keep an eye on your body 

    Love Ghaz 

  • Hi  and a second welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups.

    I don’t have DLBCL but I was diagnosed back in 1999 with a rare, incurable type of NHL Stage 4a so although my Lymphoma ‘type’ is different I understand the challenges of the journey very well.

    So sorry to read about your husband and I can totally understand your concerns. You do what you feel is right for you but at the same time you are going to be open to infection at about days 7-14 post treatment as this tends to be the window when our immune system is at its lowest……. so extra care needs to be taken. Good hygiene, good ventilation and wearing a mask would all help.

    I had two years of my main treatments 6 cycles = 750 hrs of chemo, 45 radiotherapy sessions and two Allo (Donor) Stem Cell Transplants and had no infections…… the infections came thick and fast after all my treatments were completed ((hugs)) 

    Mike - Thehighlander

    It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

    Community Champion Badge

    Click to see how to add details to your profile

  • I have just had my second R-CHOP. I was going to continue work to keep some normality but my doctor advised to have two cycles off work and then see how I felt about work. I’m glad I do not have the pressure work places on me although I love my work. It will still be there after treatment. So I’m going to continue not working until afterwards.  Maybe you should also cut yourself some slack if you are in a position to do so….. especially as you say you are struggling. Put yourself first and give yourself space to recover. 

  • Hello. So sorry to hear your story. You have been incredibly unlucky. If it helps I had the same cancer but was discovered at stage 4. I had it everywhere and many complications too including kidney failure that needed dialysis. My kidneys have since recovered. I had CAR-T in the end in 2019. I’m fine now. Jsut do everything you can to keep yourself safe. I bought a medical thermometer and took my temperature every day while at home between treatments. That way I could call the hospital at the first sign of infection, of which I had many! Good luck to you and a virtual ((hug))