SLL steroid complications

• 3 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hello, I was diagnosed with SLL during the summer and given two courses of Prednisone.  It worked remarkably well and my haemoglobin levels returned to normal.  Several weeks later, I started to feel lethargic and down.  Soon afterwards I developed severe pain and swelling in my hands and knees.  This progressed and I now have pain in nearly every joint, to the point daily living has become very difficult. 

I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences and if so, what has been the outcome? 

I feel like I was given a new beginning to have it ripped away again.

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us and sorry to hear about your ongoing journey.

I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups. I don’t have SLL but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of Low Grade Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

In these circumstances my first question is always……. what is your clinical team saying about the challenges you are having?

I had Prednisone a number of times more specifically in my R-EPOCH treatment. I had 6 cycles that had me in hospital 5 nights/6 days on my 2 IV pumps 24/7 so I had Prednisone for about 10 days each cycle and had no effects from it.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hello Mike, thank you for replying. 

My GP has had me tested for rheumatoid arthritis, carpel tunnel etc. but doesn't seem to be sure what is the cause.  Might be nothing to do with the Prednisone but seems to be a big coincidence.

• The body can be very confusing and ‘other’ stuff can come along and it’s so easy to relate this immediately to our cancer.

I had both Spinal Osteoarthritis and Asbestosis appear during my years and initially these were first thought to be something to do with my Lymphoma. Even over the past year I have had a Colonoscopy, CT, MRI and a Prostate biopsy and nothing has been found….. and now these years on I have to take my increasing age into account Rolling eyes

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge