CGIN experiences?

• 5 replies
  • 33 subscribers

Hi all, looking for some shared experiences/insights/general reassurance following abnormal smear and in particular atypical glandular cells.

Last year my smear showed I was HPV+ but smear was all clear of cell changes and I was called back for a smear in 12 months. This year HPV was still present and the letter said atypical cells were found so I'd be called for a colposcopy. No other useful info in the letter about type of changes, just said if they spotted something at colposcopy I may be offered treatment on the day or at a later date. 

Colposcopy appointment came through within two weeks and I was really surprised how quick it was, but again letter just said they'd be taking a closer look and there was a possibility it may result in being offered treatment. However, at the appointment I had barely sat down in the room when they said I'd be getting loop excision and an endometrial biopsy on the spot due to atypical glandular cells being found. I was pretty shocked that they wouldn't tell me this in the letter. I felt completely unprepared. At the time I didn't have any idea what questions to ask, as I didn't even know there were different types of changes. Other than a basic questionnaire, I wasn't given any info about the treatment or potential complications, next steps or what they were looking for. Why wouldn't they inform me that I would definitely be getting treatment and biopsy in advance? More than 5 min notice would have been appreciated.

Dr also treated me like an inconvenience when I expressed discomfort at being exposed so intimately in front of two strangers. In the end I just disassociated and got out of there as quick as I could. It's taken me two weeks since the treatment to process and do some reading and feel like I'll be more prepared going forward, but is it normal to have so little discussion before treatment? 

Anyway, now I just have to wait an excruciating 4-10 more weeks!! for results.

I've read that glandular cells have higher risk of recurring. Could people share their experiences post-LLETZ? Did they find cancer? Did you need more treatment? Even if I get the all clear, I'm not relishing the prospect of more follow ups. 

I was 39 at smear, now 40. 

Thank you Blush 

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the group. I didn’t have the same experience as you have had, being treated for CGIN, as I went straight to a cancer diagnosis after an exam and biopsy.

I hope that you will hear from other ladies who might have gone through CGIN..we have a number of ladies who post about colposcopies and results etc but I’ve not really seen them come back with updates or make further posts, which is a pity. However I hope someone might be reading this who can help you out.

Although I can’t help personally, I wanted to say hello in any case! It’s a long time for you to wait for your results and we can appreciate that waiting for results is always challenging for everyone. Let’s hope it’s closer to 4 weeks than 10!

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Shelg, 

Sorry you have this worry, I was told I had CGIN  following smear test ( you can see details in earlier post) 

I had a very quick appt for Colcoscopy, next day due to cancellation and they told me at the appt that as high grade glandular changes they would do a Lletz procedure. 

I had no prior notice, they just went ahead when doing Colcoscopy. I assume this is standard practice. 

It is a shame that the Dr was unpleasant with you, I understand completely how vulnerable you feel in these appts and you need kind reassurance from medical staff. Sadly I know this does not always happen. Anyway you did the right thing disassociating. 

I was given an information sheet following the Lletz. In most cases the Lletz is all the treatment you need, They told me sometimes a second Lletz needed because Glandular cells high up cervix. 

I was very unfortunate and needed a Radical hysterectomy but that is very rare. I am doing well now. No more treatment needed after my surgery. 

Hope you are  recovering after procedure and the wait is not too long. Try not to worry and keep away from Google, it is not your friend. I was the worst for looking up things and it did me no good. 

Sx

• Hi, quick update. I gave up waiting for results after 5 weeks and phoned for an update today

No cancer present, CGIN confirmed on cervical excision but endometrial biopsy was clear. No clear margins so unfortunately need to go back for more treatment. Feel so relieved to get this result though - the wait was horrendous. Hopefully a second loop excision will be enough, just waiting for letter and appointment now. 

Thank you both for your kind replies and sorry to read what you've both gone through. Appreciate you taking the time to support others. 

• Shelg, 

Thanks for updating. That 5 week  wait is horrendous and quite unacceptable but I am glad you got some good news.

Hope not long to wait for your next appt. 

All the Best to you

Sxx

• Hi  

Thanks so much for coming back with your update. The good news is no cancer, and hopefully another treatment will be sufficient for you. A dreadful wait time, but unfortunately very common these days even for cancer patients. All the best with your next treatment!

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm