Post-radical hysterectomy

• 12 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Hi I’m new to this group and first time reaching out to others who may have experienced similar issues. 

I was diagnosed with Cervical Cancer in September , officially staged now at 1b , nodes negative. I have just undergone an open abdominal surgery - radical hysterectomy including removal of ovaries with vertical scar.

After 3 days in hospital I was home with a catheter for 10 days. Returning to the ward for removal of catheter but I failed the trail without catheter, found out I had a urine infection and sent home with antibiotics and catheter for another week. During that week I was leaking lots of fluid and ended up back in hospital. After a ct scan they ruled out damage to the bladder and said they feel it is lymphatic fluid that I’m losing. Found out I also ended up with mrsa too. 
I also failed without catheter again and had to learn to use the self-catheter. After 5 days in hospital I am home again but still with the same problems , I can not pee on my own, I need to use the self-catheter and I am losing lots of fluid constantly. I have a referral to gyn-urology in place too. 

Has anyone else experienced having to use a self-catheter and recovered from this ? Being able to return to going to the toilet independently without it? 

Also has anyone experienced losing lymphatic fluid (lots of it that you’re having to constantly change pads)? How long is this for? Does it stop? 

Any reply would be appreciated as I’m so worried that I will be left like this

• Hi thank you for replying, I’m so sorry this is me just replying back.

I can really relate to your experiences of the twoc . I too was left too long until in agony the first time and it always makes me wonder if that cause more damage! 

im now 5 months on and very little improvement. I failed the urodynamics test the other week and now waiting to see urologist. Unfortunately I’ve had kidney stones during this time too which hasn’t helped and still need to self-catheter. Very rarely I have been and if I lean really forward can manage to let out a tiny amount of urine but doesn’t always work. 

I feel mentally exhausted with it all. I still haven’t returned to work yet and feel so anxious for when that time comes as I’m not mentally or physically ready. 

I hope things have improved for you and your doing well Heart️ xx

• I know , I think we just think to begin with ‘get through the op and things will be ok’ never to think all the complications that can happen will! 

I was only about a week I think when it started , I thought my catheter was bypassing as it was really hard to tell where it was coming from. 

so with my radical hysterectomy the top part of the vagina was removed. The doctor explained that where it had been stitched , until fully healed there would be small gaps which would allow lymph fluid to leak down through vagina.

I did have bloating but I don’t think to the same as what your describing.

Have you had any investigation for the fluid leaking ? Xx