High platelet count

• 4 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hello,I called the dr for some ear drops 2 weeks ago which he gave me a script for then an hour later he phoned me and said back in 2018 a blood test was flagged with anaemia and high platelet of 467,I was unaware of this so he said I need to have another blood test,last week Tuesday I had blood test then a lady Dr phoned me and said I had iron deficiency, it was at 10 and my platelets were elevated to 496,she told me to take iron for 3 months,ok I said, them my regular dr phoned and said I need tests as they think I've got cancer,I didnt know what to say tbh,im 47,think I'm perimenopause, bleed for 6 days quite heavy with a large clot or 2,have insomnia,constipation (with piles that bleed),not a very good diet am qhat they class as morbidly obese at 16 stone,I think I have arthritis in my back,knees and neck as they are very painful,especially when it's cold,im at a complete loss for words and very very scared,has anyone else had this?,they are giving me an appointment for gynaecology ultrasound,a fit test stool sample and i have to go for a smear on Monday which is due anyway.my mum has lynch syndrome but I tested negative,she has had uterine,ovarian,bowel cancer and now has blood cancer,atm im having panic attacks and am so worried as everyone would be to hear this sort of news,im sorry I'm rambling,I dont really have anyone to talk to,thankyou xx

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

I’m sorry to read how much you’ve got going on at the moment, but I’m not sure you will find anyone in this group who will be able to identify with all the symptoms you’ve been having, other than bleeding, and we are all just cervical cancer patients or carers in this group so cannot give any medical opinions.

I’m very surprised that a gp would phone you and say they think you’ve got cancer without having any tests-that’s extremely unusual. Did the gp say she thought you had cervical cancer or a different kind of cancer? On what basis would she think you had cancer before having any tests?

I think you’re just going to need to take a step back, take a deep breath, and try to stay calm until you know more. You have a number of tests coming up, and hopefully you will find out more once you have them. For now, you don’t know that you have any type of cancer, and the tests are as much to rule cancer out as diagnose it. 

I can understand how shocked you must feel to have the gp say this, but a gp cannot diagnose you, so try to hold onto that fact. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks for your reply ,as far as I'm aware it's just the high platelet count maybe he's stressing cos he didn't get back to me 5yrs ago when my bloods were out,I dont know its got me stumped xx

• I had cin1 back in 2006 but he did suggest,cervix,uterine, bowel,ovarian and lung x

• Oh my goodness-that’s a big list of cancers to say might be possible with no tests for any of them as yet. I think I’d want to go back and ask the doctor why they’ve suggested these to you. None of us here have the knowledge to comment on the possible reasons for a high platelet count, so it’s best to ask the doctor for a possible explanation.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm