Cervical cancer suspicions but no diagnosis yet

• 58 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi all, I don't know if I have posted in this group already but I am a 26yo female, I am yet to have any smear tests as I just hadn't got round to it due to a busy life schedule (I know I should make time for it). Around 10 days ago, I experienced sudden pelvic discomfort/swelling and swelling, nausea, fatigue and just feeling genuinely unwell. I went to see gynae on Friday, they done an internal ultrasound which ruled out ovarian cancer but upon a speculum test, I experienced a lot of pain and the consultant had to remove it, he has referred me for an mri to see what's going on. I am feeling so unwell and struggling to do my daily activities without getting exhausted and sleeping. Just wanted to see if anyone has had similar symptoms to me who has been diagnosed or see if it could be something less serious than cervical cancer. I have unintentionally lost around a stone in the last 9 months or so and have now suddenly got an alcohol intolerance which I always used to enjoy a glass of wine here and there! I can't help but worry and google things! 

thankyou x

• Oh can they not? They said they weren't testing me for ca125, liver and kidney function, full blood count and a few other things! We will see! 

Right yeah makes sense! Did they find the tumours on an ultrasound or an mri/ct? 

yes of course, lots of speculation, I mean I wonder what other organs can cause an extended stomach? I know a build up of fluid cause ascites can, but I doubt that as that has to come from cancer. Xx

• The CA125 test can indicate different things apart from cancer-it’s an indicator of inflammation in the pelvis, but it is possible for it to be an indicator of ovarian cancer. It wouldn't be enough on its own to diagnose ovarian thought. They’ll do a number of tests on your bloods to see if it’s helpful in working things out. 

My own tumour was visible to the naked eye when I was examined, so the gynaecologist saw it himself and took a biopsy. Then I had an MRI and CT-the MRI to confirm the exact size and position, and the CT to check for any spread. Ultrasounds aren’t normally used in reaching a diagnosis of cervical cancer, so I’ve never had one. 

I’ve not got any experience of a swollen abdomen, so sorry, can’t help with what that could be. It must be uncomfortable though! 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Oh right okay! It's a starting point I guess! Have to see what they say when it comes back! 

that's okay! Yeah I look about 7 months pregnant at its worst and it's rock hard! Something I've had in the past but only lasted a few days then went but had on and off pain too in different places and also a dull ache in my left side near the back of my ribs, I have a rib that is petruding, I felt that a week ago when I had a pain go through it and had the dull ache since so not sure if it's linked but it's either a lump or a sticking out rib! Xx 

• Gosh, you’ve got an awful lot going on with various different things. The more things you notice the more you’ll probably think about them, but they may or may not be connected. You might find some things completely disappear once you know what’s going on-the mind is very powerful about making us think all sorts while we’re waiting for answers. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Yeah it's a nightmare with so many different symptoms but the fact I've felt poorly too hasn't helped! The pain I could probably just crack on with! 

yeah I can imagine a lot of it will! The mind plays tricks! My bloods are already back with the doctor, they just need to review it so that could be a good sign! But I know like you said, some things don't show up with bloods so I guess the mri will be the answer (if any) xx

• At least with the mri they will have actual images of your pelvis inside. No single test is likely to tell everything, but each one will help reach a conclusion when they piece everything together.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Yeah exactly! 

I do find it hard to believe that it is cancer as I'm usually a healthy 26yo, I know it can happen to anyone and I've been worrying about it, but I am staying positive that it isn't and it's something easy to be fixed. I really feel for people when they do get a diagnosis, it must be the hardest thing in the world! 

Charlotte xx

• I’ll be very much hoping it’s another explanation for you. You’re younger than my daughters and I still think of them as my babies! 

Yes, it’s tough getting a diagnosis, even when you’re my age, but it’s not as unexpected as it would be in your twenties. I really hope it’s not going to happen to you. Keep those positive thoughts that it’s something that can be easily fixed and you can move on feeling much better! 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Aw bless you! I still feel young myself! I know it does happen as there is the teenage cancer trust but like you say, I can only stay positive and hope for a good outcome! Being this close to a potential diagnosis has definitely made me appreciate life more and some people don't always get a second chance! 

exactly that! Thankyou again for speaking with me, it really has made me feel at ease! I will of course update you as and when I know anything further! 

charlotte xx

• I am concerned about my blood results, 2 have come back normal which was full blood count and haemoglobin and the ca125 and kidney function is still under review, just hope that the doctor got side tracked or something, she's going to chase it up for me, I thought they would've just looked at the bloods as a whole and released them if all is fine? Am I wrong? Xx