Dialators

• 3 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Finished treatment (Chemo, rad and brachy) last May. Started using the dialator and hated it from the offset. In September my consultant told me I hadn't been using it properly when he examined me. Had to have a biopsy done then (just excess scar tissue) and they said it should be easier to use the dialator again. Carried on, probably not as much as I should have done. Guess I'm guilty of burying my head in the sand and hoping these issues will just right themselves magically. Not sure if its ptsd a bit? The thought of anything down there is a struggle. I'm not letting my poor husband anywhere near me in that way. Now I've got an appointment next Friday and I know its going to be an internal examination. I am still using the dialator but I dont think its going far up enough and I'm now dreading what they are going to say to me. This whole thing has left me in such a mess!

• Hi and welcome!
    Sorry to see you’re having issues with the dreaded dilators. I’ve yet to find anyone who enjoys using them! If your consultant thought you had not been using them properly, did he give you instructions on how you should be doing it? If not-he should have! 

The critical thing in their use, as I understood it, is to break up scar tissue and ensure that everything is kept open so that you can undergo internal examinations at future check ups especially if you are not having sex. So I don’t think it’s all about how far up it goes, but more about moving it around once it is up there!

Unfortunately scar tissue can build up and close your vagina, which is extremely difficult to reverse, even if at all, so it’s worth persevering. If you are using the ones provided by the nhs, you may find it easier to use another type-I see silicone ones recommended by ladies often as being more comfortable and easier to cope with-you can find these types on sites like Ann Summers. Though if you struggle with anything going there, it may still be difficult. Perhaps some counselling could help if you believe you have ptsd? 

I know they’re not nice, and horrible to use, but they do need to be used regularly to keep things open there. You still need to be able to have the internal checks, and it will be so much easier if you use them a few times a week.

I’m hoping that some of the other ladies might come along and post, since it’s a very long time since I used the dilators due to now having no vagina at all after surgery for my recurrent cancer.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Piglet....I hate the things!!  I try to use them twice a week for ten minutes but privacy and opportunity are a real problem... However I have just recently progressed to the largest size and it can get a little uncomfortable after around five minutes.  I started by using the size below for five minutes, and then changing to the largest size for the last five minutes but now I can manage just the largest.  I just can't manage the recommended three times a week for ten minutes each time but I really try for twice a week.  I agree with Sarah that anything that is breaking down the scar tissue is a good thing so just do it regularly even if you don't manage the ten minutes.  I sometimes only manage 7 or 8.  Good luck xxx

• Hi Piglet1977

I struggled with the dilators but I gained some confidence with them after seeing a women's health physiotherapist who taught me step by step how to use them.  If interested you could ask your oncologist (or GP) to refer you.  

I don't know if it's so effective but I found a vibrator much easier and more pleasant to use than dilators.  I chose a vibrator that matched in size with the dilator I was using.  You could maybe alternate using a vibrator and dilators - check with your oncologist what their opinion is on the use of a vibrator for vagina 'rehab' .  I got my vibrator from Jo Divine who I consider sell good quality products: https://www.jodivine.com/

I was diagnosed with stage 2A squamous cell cervical cancer (node negative) in 2017 following symptoms: persistent, watery, yellow vaginal discharge then post-menopuasal bleeding.  My treatment was a radical hysterectomy followed by chemo-radiotherapy.  My long term side effects include lymphoedema and urinary retention which I manage with intermittent self catheterisation.