Help 18 weeks of chemo

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 11 replies
  • 33 subscribers

Hi I am back here again after a year had breast  cancer March 2016 now March 2017 it has spread to my lungs and liver I am going to be on a 18 weeks chemo has any one had this i have bad days and good i have five children i cry at night when they are a sleeping i am not afraid of die ing just going to early please help 

Annmarie 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Big hug Annmarie, I seem to be back every 18 months, it all seems so unfair, but, I'm still here, and very very thankful that as my oncologist says he has a truckload of options for me, none of us can choose when we go to meet our maker but we have got the choice to make every day special and make the most of and be thankful for our families and friends.  Sending you a virtual hug

• Hi Annmarie, glad you found your way over, I replied to your other post! Welcome to this board. Sending you another ((((((((((supportive hug)))))))))

Maybe if you tell us the Chemo you are having someone might be able to offer some practical advice on what to expect and how to cope with side effects.

Just remember there are many treatment options and although constant treatment is very frustrating and sometimes scary, we are very lucky to have so many options open to us. Xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Annmarie

Big hug from here, is it a weekly chemo, I had one weekly for 12 weeks and found it was fine, I'm also back within a year of original diagnosis

Take comfort from the wonderful support here xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Annemarie

I want to give you a big virtual hug. I'm in a similar place, primary diagnsois Aug 2015, finished treatment Easter 2016 and had a few months thinking I was ok during 2016 and now it's back: liver, lungs and bones. My oncology letter says chemo up to six months. I'm on weekly paclataxl (week 3 is this afternoon)  and so far it is not nearly as bad as the primary chemo (I was on EC), and although I'm tired, I don't feel as weird, or nausous as I did before. I was on a high dose steroid to start with, which helped my symptoms but now has been reduced because I couldn't sleep. I hope you can get a circle of supportive friends around you, Anyone who says, 'can I do anything' - give them a job immediately, cleaning, clearing up, helping with laundry. You may be elligible for some home care, ask your community Macmillan nurse. I hope the time you spend with your kids can be more about having fun with them, even if it's just all piling on the sofa to watch TV. My boys are older, (19 and 22) and mostly really helpful, but I imagine it is really a tough call with younger ones. There are lots of people on here who've been living with secondaries for ages, and their stories have really helped me aim for the long term. Lots of love

Brown Rabbit

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi,

I start 18 weeks of Paclitaxel on Monday. This is my first experience of chemo as by the time I had any symptoms it had spread to bones and liver.

I'm also scared - I'm not ready to leave my children.  But my doctor and the chemo nurse keep stressing that with all the treatments available now - this is more about managing a chronic condition.  

That helped me.  I hope you find something that helps you through this.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi Annmarie

Mine is in my bones and has now spread to my liver and I have completed two of my eighteen chemos. I am a lot older than you and cannot imagine how you are coping with five kids. I do hope you have help.

I am finding I get very tired every time I do anything so it's definitely a matter of pacing yourself. Also my tummy churns a lot but anti sick pills do help with that. Not sleeping at all but nurse says that is caused by the steroids so I am going to ask the oncologist when I see him next week if the dosage can be reduced, which she said he may do.

I don't know if I've been any help, but when you have bouts of energy try to do something nice even if its just getting out to the garden if you have one.

Anne

• FormerMember

Good to know you have had your steroids reduced as that is my worst problem. I am seeing oncologist then so will ask him if I can. We seem to be at same point, my third session is on Tuesday. Like you not as bad as I'd feared though the little man keeps hitting me over head with tiredness hammer so I am learning to pace myself more.

• FormerMember

Good to know you have had your steroids reduced as I am not sleeping at all. The nurses have told me to ask the oncologist if he 'll reduce my dosage when I see him on Friday. My third session is on Tuesday and like you it is proving not as bad as I feared so far. Tiredness keeps hitting so I am having to pace myself.

I am lucky in that I have a lovely caring husband and grown up sons.

Anne

• What a load of Crap we have to put up with. My sister- in - law was diagnosed with cancer aged 34 when her 2 children were 6 and 4. She took whatever treatment or surgery was offered and managed through whatever strength she could find to see her boys grown up to be young teenagers. The boys are now in their 30 s and have grown into wonderful young men. We were full of admiration how she managed between treatments to lead as normal a life as possible with the help of her parents to give the boys as good a childhood as possible. Wishing you well! X

I used to walk around like everything was fine, but deep down, inside my shoe, my sock was sliding off.

Now I walk around and everything is  fine.....one day I am going to by new socks with strong elastic......but in the meantime I am learning to stop and and pull my sock up! 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hiya - I had 18 weeks of Paclitaxel and coped quite well with it - had a UTI during treatment and that affected me more! Then they put me on Herceptin - 1 injection every 3 weeks - I had 45! But then my body became immune to it. Now I'm on the biggie - Kadcyla- only had one treatment and it does make me tired but I'm still here! 3 times I've had this crappy disease and 3 times I've refused to give in to it! I set myself goals - the next one is my birthday which is in March next year - and I WILL celebrate it with my family.... 

There is always hope - God bless you - you are in my prayers... xx