Allergy reaction - Paclitaxel

• 7 replies
  • 271 subscribers

Hi

Anyone have experience in allergic reaction in Paclitaxel?  I have breast cancer and I already finished 4xEC every 2 week. Starting Paclitaxel.

On 7th Oct, I started 1st of Paclitaxel together with 1st Zoledronic acid (I have 4xP every 2 week).  During the middle time, I got hot in 38degree, nurses stopped and finally I got half dose of Paclitaxel. Next day I got fever again and stayed in hospital for 2 nights, then took antibiotic.  On the last day of antibiotic (the 10th day of Paclitaxel) I got skin rash, few days were settled by allergy medication and cream.

On 21st Oct, I did 2nd cycle of Paclitaxel, started just 5mins, I felt drug coming up to whole head, then hand feeling numbness and then skin rash on hand then leg, all happened very fast.  Nurses stopped the dose and finally settled.

Does anyone has allergy reaction on Paclitaxel?  I am wondering if I can continue or any alternative ?

Actually, 1st cycle just half dose, 2nd cycle just 5mins.  I supposed to have 4 cycles in total.  But don't know if I need more in this case.

Now I keep waiting news from doctor, I don't know if any alternatives.  Want to get more information and then I can discuss with Dr.

Thanks xx

• Hi Nana75

Sorry to hear that you had a allergic reaction to Paclitaxel.  While I don't have an answer for you I noticed that you haven't had any replies yet so I thought I'd reply to you to move you to the top of the discussion.  Hopefully someone will be along shortly with an answer for you.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi   sorry to hear this & yes I had an allergic reaction to paclitaxel, the symptoms sound very similar to yours. It was extremely scary. There is an alternative to paclitaxel for patients who cannot tolerate it - nab-paclitaxel which I am on now. It binds to your blood through a protein as opposed to a solvent as I understand it which is what causes the reaction. The other alternative is that they up your dose of antihistamine (given in the pre infusion) but I’m guessing if you’ve had 2 x tries already they already tried this? 

• Hi Sunshineandunicorns

Thank you for your reply! 

Is nab-paclitaxel going well ?  Similar side effects?

I am not sure if they added up dose of antihistamine in the 2nd time.  Now I am waiting Dr appointment to discuss this issue (next Friday, just 1 working day before my next cycle).

Since the first 2 cycles were not completed, I am worrying if I need to do again for 2 cycles more......it makes longer time to finish my whole chemotherapy.

Many uncertainty

• Hi  yes nab-paclitaxel is going fine thanks for me. I only tolerated very little paclitaxel when I had the reaction so can’t comment on similarities of side effects. How did your conversation with your oncologist go? 

• My appointment with Oncologist will be the coming Friday, so I don't know how progress will be.....still worrying, but I want to gather more information in order to discuss with the Oncologist.

Do you need to do more cycle as the original paclitaxel was not completed?

Thanksxx

• Everyone is different so I can’t confirm for you, but yes the first cycle with the reaction didn’t count for me for anything xx

• Glad to know that nab-paclitaxel is going well for you.  Speedy recoveryMuscle