Surgery

• 3 replies
  • 270 subscribers

Next month I am having a second mastectomy and double reconstruction. Does anyone have any advice on recovery? Anything you couldn't do without or wished you had? I had the majority of my treatment during covid and didn't get to meet others going through the same. It's taken a couple of years of losing weight to get to the targets set to have the operation and now it's just around the corner, I am not sure what to expect. Thanks.

• Hi Chestersillydog

Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry to hear that you had breast cancer.  The only piece of advice that I can give you as I only had a lumpectomy is to do no heavy lifting for about 4 to 6 weeks after your operation and to do the arm exercises they give you everyday day starting the day after your operation.

Wishing you the best of luck with your operation.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Chestersillydog

Congratulations on losing the weight and getting to the point where they will do a reconstruction. I have no advice to give as I am in the overweight category.  I had during covid a double mastectomy and no reconstruction. I was refused reconstruction because of weight and covid. I don't mind too much now but at the time I cried. I had thought well at least out of all this I will get a reduction in one breast, a reconstruction in the other so perkier boobs and a tummy tuck but no, it was just you're too fat. (I actually had to fight for the operation, because of covid they were going to leave me post chemo with a small remaining tumour)  I am in my 70s so not such a big deal and at least I have less upper back pain.

A big hug and best of luck.

• Hi Chestersillydog, although I have no advice to offer, I wanted to wish you well for your upcoming surgery. I am due to have a mastectomy with diep flap reconstruction on Tuesday. If your surgery is after mine, I would be happy to post an update, if I think of anything that could be useful. Xx