Docetaxel symptoms - how long ?

• 2 replies
  • 269 subscribers

Hi brave warriors ! I’m currently halfway through my chemo treatment for stage 2 BC following DIEP surgery, I had 4 sessions of EC and last week had my first session of Docetaxel plus the bone strengthening infusion, luckily I didn’t get the expected 24 hour flu from the bone strengthened but I do feel rough, constantly cold, very sore stomach and breast surgery wounds, mild toothache and very tired, also.. I can’t taste anything at all which is horrible, can someone tell me roughly how long do the symptoms last ? With EC I felt better after 5 days each time.

• Docetaxal really knocked me over. The first cycle, I could barely get out of bed for the first 10 days. The side effects kept coming too, I was still getting new symptoms a couple of weeks in.

Some people breeze through docetaxal though.

I found with EC, I had a bad week, an OK week and a good week.

With docetaxal, I felt pretty rough all the way through. The first couple of days were the best and then the side effects hit me.

They reduced my dose for other cycles which eased things a bit, but I still found it really tough.

• Hi, yes, I had four infusions of Docetaxal, and found it to be much, much harder than EC. I had the taste thing as well. I generally felt better during the last week of the three week cycle, although during the last two infusions the lack of taste didn’t improve at all, and I had mobility issues due to extreme tiredness and pains in my muscles, and got breathless if I walked more than 20 yards or so. However, once I finished the course, I improved very quickly, and was able to have surgery exactly two weeks later (realise that you have already had surgery). A few days after that I was walking as normal.