Reaction to filgrastim

• 2 replies
  • 266 subscribers

Hi All,

So had quite a scary experience last night.Became very breathless,shivering then hot.No temp,oxygen dropped to 92 and heart rate was 115 even when sitting.Phoned 24 hr triage line who advised my partner to call 999 for an ambulance.No ambulance available for 8 hrs,in that time thankfully my breathing returned to normal.So today back pain and diarrhea, just feeling rubbish.The only constant is after I take the filgrastim I feel rubbish,last week had extreme stomach cramps.My question is does anyone have chemotherapy without having to take the filgrastim.My consultant said last week I would need to lower chemotherapy to enable myself not to need filgrastim Obviously I don't want to lower my chemotherapy, but I feel this is my only way forward xx

• Hi I had a reaction or at least what they suspected was a reaction and was given an alternative. It was 4 years ago and I can't remember the name of the drug but it involved mixing and had to go into the fridge. The nurse came and did the mixing and injecting. I think it is more difficult to get district nurse visits these days but when I was being injected you chose whether to do it yourself or have a visit. I always had a nurse visit and she also flushed my picc line.

Sorry to be so vague but there is an alternative. x

• Hi,  I had reaction which they said was an allergy and have not had this or any alternative throughout all my chemotherapy which was 18 weeks (12 cycles) and finished 19th.