Lipofilling Advice

• 5 replies
  • 267 subscribers

Hi, after WLE and LTAP flap surgery back in 2020, my affected breast looks a bit misshapen with a “furrow” between the flap and my breast tissue as well as too much flesh from the flap to the side such that my arm brushes against it all the time which is really annoying!  I’m meeting my breast surgeon this week to discuss liposuction of fat from the flap under my arm to reduce the volume there, as well as lipofilling the furrow.

I’d be interested in hearing from anyone who’s had this done so I’ve got some knowledge before I see the surgeon. I’m mostly concerned about the liposuction, probably from my thighs and whether having this done will cause any issues on the donor area.  I’m not keen to exchange a misshapen breast which is usually not on show, for lumpy thighs which will be on show when I do sport, swimming etc!

Also, if you’ve had it done, was this by a breast surgeon or by a plastic surgeon?

It would also be good to hear how long your recovery time was and how long it was before you could get back to walking, sport etc. And whether it’s affected having mammograms in the future.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Loffie x

• I had liposuction and lipo filling after my DEIP and it was very successful. I had fat taken from outer thighs on the first occasion and inner thighs on the second. Apart from a bit of soreness from the horrendous bruising it was fine. They do need to overfill ‘ dents’ as some of the fat fades away when transferred. Mine was done by the plastic surgeon. xxxx

• Thanks for your reply. Really pleased to hear that your lipofilling was successful. Did you have to wear any special bra during your recovery, or compression wear on your thighs?

Loffie x

• Hi, I wore a post-op compression bra and some tight cycling shorts to help bruising on thigh area. It did help.xxxx

• Hi,

I had a fat transfer from my tummy as there wasn't enough fat on my thighs, although thigh fat gives a better result apparently.

Some tenderness on my stomach for a couple of days, and there were 4 small incisions which were not noticeable and there was no lumpiness or any effects from the fat extraction. Some bruising. Although the surgeon did say some women get a lot of pain, and others sail through.

Done by a breast surgeon, but not all have this skill, they need to be trained up, and mine had done it for around 15 years.

Surgeon said there was no evidence for compression shorts etc - just need to make sure that you are comfortable, and I did have some lovely full knickers anyway from Boody.com which provided comfort over my tummy.

Main thing is not to do too much afterwards - I kept away from any fat-burning type of exercise for 3 months or so, but plenty of walking. And ate lots of full fat yoghurt, cheese etc (any excuse.)

Happened about seven months before my next mammogram, and it didn't cause any issues, and time is needed to see the best results as it does settle nicely - I'll be having one, maybe two more sessions to fill dents from a lumpectomy, with a 12 month gap in between operations (my choice.)

Good Luck.

•  Thank you so much for your experience with lipofilling.  So glad to hear the first one went well and wasn’t too uncomfortable.

I met with my surgeon and she said it’s common now for breast surgeons to get training in this now and she’d done quite a large number so that put my mind at ease!

She’ll be taking fat from my inner thighs as I don’t have much on the outer and she didn’t want to affect the form of my thighs - inner thighs are easier to hide any unevenness apparently. Also some fat from my hips/flanks. She suggested to wear cycle shorts which go up to my waist and a sports bra with front fastening.

She said it would feel like I’ve been hit by a bus with all the bruising so to take all the painkillers they prescribe and that getting back walking will help, even though I’ll feel like I don’t want to Scream

I’m booked in for November and will probably need a second late March - am trying to fit it inbetween holidays!  And plenty of time to boost my fat reserves - indeed lots of cheese!

Thanks again x