Chemo appt question…

• 10 replies
  • 269 subscribers

Bit of a basic question… I am waiting for an appointment with oncologist. This is the first referral following surgery, and I’m being referred for chemo. At this first meeting, would you usually expect to receive a chemo plan, or a more open discussion?

I just want to manage my own expectations as I keep hoping that next steps will be confirmed (ie a plan with some dates and drug regime ) and will make further progress on this journey, and I know I’ll be disappointed if the referral is just a discussion - but better to know in advance!!

many thanks 

• Hi  , I can’t answer by telling you what will happen at your appointment as all hospitals follow their own guidelines! However I can tell you what happened at my first appointment with the oncologist, many moons ago (11years)!!

I was introduced to him. Then he explained the Chemotherapy regime that I would be on. He discussed possible side effects and what they could do about them to help or prevent them! One of the most important things that he said that has stayed with me ever since was “ NEVER down play anything to your oncologist! When you see him/her if you have been feeling like Crap, tell them, if you have been having pain, tell them how much pain! Never sugar coat anything! Never play the ‘brave’ patient! Why? Because if you don’t be honest with the Oncologist about your true side effects/feelings then they can’t help you! Remember there are no gold medals at the end of this for getting through without moaning Wink SO JUST BE HONEST!

Okay after that I was told I would need bloods doing, then an ECG and heart ultrasound before Chemo could begin. This was because at the time FEC/T used one drug that could affect the heart! It didn’t! Not even sure if they still use that drug. But like I said this is to give you some sort of idea! 

Then he allowed me to ask any questions and that was that. I was sent for bloods then to make an appointment to see the cardiologist for ECG and heart ultrasound. Then I would be sent a date for the start of Chemo!

A few days before my Chemo started I was invited to the Chemo suite to be shown around and watched a video about what would happen. Chatted with a lovely nurse who discussed the head cooling that was used at that time and asked if I was interested in trying it, I decided not to bother. Then we discussed that I might need a PICC line fitted at some point during treatment but that was down to my oncologist to decide. I think it’s actually the Chemo nurses who request it when they find out how difficult you are to cannulate! However one of the drugs was known to damage veins and as I had a node clearance I only had one arm they could use anyway! 

Then a few days later I was good to go! I believe it was probably 2/3 weeks after seeing the Oncologist that I actually started my first session of Chemo! 

I hope this helps a little. Although as I said all hospitals are different and some busier than others! But don’t worry once you’ve seen the Oncologist your Chemo journey will be started and before you know it, you’ll be on your way to your last session and all this will be behind you!! 

Sending you much love and best wishes for a trouble free Chemo journey! Just remember listen to your body, rest when you need to and ALWAYS tell your Breast Nurse and Oncologist EXACTLY how you are doing!! Sal xxxx

• Hi, 

my experience last year was very similar to London lass apart from I was not offered a pic line, I was recanulated on each visit. London Lass has a good memory as some of her account, to be honest I had forgotten. My brain probably wanted to forget but looking back it wasn’t as bad as I feared. I finished 26 July last year, it was ok and I’m glad I did it as each treatment reduces the odds of recurrence. My oncologist was brutally honest with his information but I preferred that approach. Good luck with your treatment. 

• I had my first appointment 2 weeks ago. He told me what chemo drugs I’d be taking, the side effects and how they will reduce them by giving me some medication. Also asked about cold capping saying it’s worth a go. Also that I’d need a heart ultrasound first. And then gave me a date to start 2 weeks later. 

• Hi CurlyKL,

I had my oncology appointment 2 weeks ago.  As everyone else has said he went through all the treatment details, what I would be having what side effects to expect.  I had bloods 2 days prior to the appointment so they could check everything was ok before I begin.  I didn't require any further tests (I am 58).

I was given my appointment there and then and I start treatment tomorrow.  I have full plan of when treatment will start / finish assuming I have no reason for delays.

Hope all goes smoothly and good luck with your treatment.

Jules

• Hi CurlyKL

I had a heart ultrasound prior to seeing my oncologist. During the first oncology appointment  which was less than 2 weeks after the heart scan I was given the information  about each of the treatments I was being offered and the frequency that each would be administered.   The side effects were discussed and any questions I had were answered. If I had agreed to the plan, the consent forms would have been signed at this point. I wanted to think about it further and to read up more on one of the treatments in particular one  that could affect the heart.

The oncologist said she would make me an appointment with the chemo unit to get me in the system, and that it was easier to cancel an appointment than to make one.

I did say that I would want to cold cap and that I didn't want a picc line

I went back for my second appointment the following week with a list of more questions, this time I signed the forms. I also changed my mind about the picc line because I was going to be given weekly chemo in addition to having weekly blood tests.

I was given a list of the blood tests that  needed to be taken  before chemo could start and an appointment was made for the picc line to be put in.

Chemo started two weeks after my second oncology appointment.

Good luck with your chemo journey

D.D    xx

• Thankyou so much for your considered advice and sharing. I’m not very good at saying things aren’t good, but I hear you - if we don’t speak up how can we be helped. Great advice Thankyou x

• Thankyou shade. Good to hear if a similar approach and I love brutally honest too. Far easier. Thanks for your support x

• This is such a fast process. Pleased for you and thanks for sharing x

• Thank you for sharing. We are in roughly the same time frame and it’s helpful to have an idea on the tests too. I do hope your first session went ok for you today x

• Thankyou for sharing your journey, I do hope you are through the other side now. I’m quite keen on a pic line as I get really bruised with the cannulas and often a vein can’t be found! Really helpful advice. Thanks x