Posterior Margin Involved - Not sure what to do.

• 5 replies
  • 246 subscribers

Lumpectomy five weeks ago. Re-excision planned for next Thursday for close lateral margin. However, the consultant has told me that as she has to re-operate, she can shave a slither of muscle from the posterior margin, She says this will mean that I will not have to undergo the extra boost radiotherapy. Alternatively we can leave the posterior margin (apparently it is not usual practice to re-excise) and just go with the extra boost radiotherapy. Not sure what to do. Has anyone else had to make this choice?

• Hi Dulcibella

While I didn't have to make that choice I noticed that you haven't had any answers yet so I thought I'd reply to you to move you to the top of the discussion.  Hopefully someone will be along shortly with some advice for you.

Best of luck with the operation whatever you decide to do.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Daisy,

Thank you for replying. It seems that this is not a common decision to be faced with. I have read your profile and send you my love and hugs. xx

• Hi Ducibella. I went through an operation to re-excise margins that weren’t clear first time around 2 weeks ago.  The second op was successful and  we now move forward. The second op was much simpler and I recovered quickly. For me it was completely the right thing to do, if it’s offered, do it for peace of mind to know the cancer is gone. Good luck. 

• Hi there, Thank you for your reply. There was no question that I was going for re-excision of the lateral margin. It is the posterior margin that is in question. It is not normal practice to re-excise a posterior margin, but the surgeon has given me the choice as she is going in any way. It will save me the radiotherapy boost later on. I'm so pleased your re-excision was successful. xxl