Exemestane

• 6 replies
  • 267 subscribers

Has anyone had Exemestane instead of Tamoxifen? If so, what were your experiences with side effects? Thank you Pray 

• hi , I have been on Exemestane now for 2 weeks. I was prescribed this after being on Letrozole for 18 months . I was suffering from severe joint pain, , brain fog and other side effects , some of which I could cope with but not the joint pain . The breast care nurse switched me onto exemestane . My hot flushes have returned ( I hope these will settle down as they did with Letrozole ) but over the last two days I have had severe pain in my right leg and shoulder which is also affecting my sleep  . I am due to see my doctor on Tuesday so I will discuss this with her . I expected some settling in symptoms so I am hopeful that things will improve. 
    I am 71 years of age , previously very active , and I want to be able to get on with my life in the best possible way through this cancer journey. I hope your experience with the tablets is a good one as I feel we need to take them to give us the best possible chance of keeping cancer at bay. 
    I wish you luck and hope the tablets work for you.

• Hi,

I’ve been on Exemestane (together with 3 monthly Leuprorelin injections) rather than Tamoxifen for about 6 weeks.  I don’t think the side effects have been too bad - some hot flushes mainly at night, achy shoulders particularly in the morning, and dry skin.  

• Thanks so much. I’m 46 and also beye active and hoping yoga may help the joint pain but will see how I go. My first oncologist also recommended acupuncture which I’ve never tried before so keeping that as a possible to help too x

• Hi

my doctor has been giving me acupuncture for relief from hot flushes and insomnia . It worked for me when I was on Letrozole so it is worth a try for you.  I am due another session next Tuesday .

take care and sending love xx 

• Thanks so much - I'll be on the injections too.