Stopping treatment

• 18 replies
  • 269 subscribers

I am seriously considering just refusing any further treatment. Currently on Herceptin & Tamoxifen 

Side effects are knocking me low - doesn’t help that my daughter’s cut me off for over 3 weeks & I’ve done my back in (fatigue from RT but can’t sleep due to back pain) 

As well as hot flushes, I’ve now been told I’m probably going to lose teeth due to cancer & treatment. No help with dental costs despite it affecting gums & jaw bone. 

Starting to think the treatments are worse than the risk of cancer coming back. 

• Hi  , sorry you are having such a hard time. It’s a horrible dilemma - are the side effects worth it…, I wonder if it would help to phone the helpline here at MacMillan to discuss it all? I know that they can also advise on financial issues. Also your breast team - do they know how much you are struggling with the meds? I have read here of people taking a break from the hormone blockers, maybe this could be an option for you to discuss? But I’m not a medic, just repeating things that I’ve read on this forum. It does sound like you could really do with some support and I’m sorry that on top of it all, that you currently have no contact from your daughter. Sending love and a big virtual hug, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • My back went a couple of times. I had an MRI to rule out cancer. What it discovered is two herniated lumber discs and early degenerative changes. Don't throw the towel in too early. It's hard but something spreading could be worse. I get flare ups with my knee, tiredness can do it or stress. Working it out is a process. 

• Hi so sorry it is a tough disease. No idea if this is possible but could your hospital team refer you to the hospital dental department. I don't think you would have to pay and they deal with the more difficult dental treatments. It might be worth asking x

• Hi - thanks for posting. I appreciate you sharing your experience. Longterm side-effects are a big concern of mine. So sorry your bones and gums are affected.

• I panicked when the dentist said I could lose teeth but probably overreacted 

my sister was told the same 8yrs ago & didn’t lose any teeth so Fingers crossed

• I’m dreading this . I already have some bone loss in my bottom jaw . 

• I did too - centre on the bottom now lost 40% and I’ve only been on Tamoxifen a short time Cry

• Definitely worth asking - thank you for the suggestion x