Cold Capping and Hair Loss

• 22 replies
  • 269 subscribers

Had my first cycle of EC nearly three weeks ago and tried the cold cap. My hair is starting to come away. Just wondering how long to persevere with the cold capping or whether having significant hair loss now I give in and accept it’s all coming away! It seems a lot of hair is coming away but I do have very curly hair and still lots left at the moment. Just wondering on success rates with cold capping and whether I should expect to lose a lot while doing it. It adds so much time and discomfort to the chemo treatment just not really sure what to do! 

• I would say continue. I lost  hair throughout cold capping but kept enough that I never needed a wig. I only washed my hair with warm water no more than twice a 3 week cycle . I used baby shampoo or Waterman's Grow and a wide tooth comb. I used a silk pillow case and I think I might have used a hair net at night at some point but it is over 3 years ago and I can't quite recall. Having said this some ladies look gorgeous with no hair and there are some wonderful scarves. Good luck xx

• Thank you that’s good to hear. Fab bits of advice xx

• Hi Giddy234, I had EC and Docetaxel and cold capped throughout. I lost about 80% of my hair mainly on EC but it started to grow back on docetaxel. My hair has grown back lovely and soft, thicker and also curly. It’s slow but hopefully by Christmas it will be as far as my chin in a bob. I think preserving is the key sometimes.

Wishing you all the best

Hugs from cuffcake x x x x x

•  The Paxman website says  hair loss is to be expected even with cold capping, it isn't that  the process is'nt  working.

It's preserving the hair follicles for future growth.

I'll be starting chemo soon and am hoping that I can stick with the cold cap.

Good luck with it  x

• Hiya, I have found the same as you .I have cold capped  and lost quite a bit on EC ,but once I changed to docetaxel it has started growing back .I have one more Docetaxel ,and already have a healthy growth all over my head. In the early days I did think of giving up cold capping ,particularly that first 3 week period when it started coming out so much .But I'm really glad I stuck with it as it has obviously helped with the regrowth .

• That’s good to hear thank you x

• Good luck to you too xx

• That’s good to hear. My second drug is paclitaxel so not sure how that will be for hair loss xx

• Hi Giddy, 

I used the cold cap for the first 2 cycles of EC, by the time the 3rd cycle came I had lost a lot of hair and had a number of migraines so didn’t use the cold cap. I have docetaxel for the next 3 rounds so will see what happens. I have just picked up my wig, and I’m trying to muster up the courage to shave my hair.

hope your treatment is going well, stay strong x 

• I’ve been contemplating shaving mine all weekend but after everyone’s advice I’ll persevere for a wee while! Best of luck to you and I actually think shaving your head might be quite liberating! Xx