Chemo do’s and don’ts

• 4 replies
  • 268 subscribers

Hey everyone. I start chemo on Tuesday and have read things about flushing the loo twice after use for 47hrs after chemo, changing clothes as soon as home and washing them separately etc etc! I’ve also heard to expect to feel freezing . 

is there any truth in the above and what would your tips be ? I have a bag of socks, blanket, note pad and moisturisers ready to take with me. What am I missing? 

thank you in advance Green heart

• Hi, I blogged through my treatment and this one (Chemo blog link) is everything I wish I'd known before starting chemo.

I must admit I've not heard about flushing the loo twice or washing clothes, but I did feel much colder than usual.   Best wishes 

Community Champion badge

• Yes I heard about flushing the loo with the seat closed twice. I had a present of a shawl that I loved so presumably I was going inclined to feel chilly although I did also appreciate the emotional comfort it gave me. I don't recall anything about washing clothes but I tend to do mine separately anyway x

• Hi. My oncologist told me to flush the loo twice. It's to protect other people from coming in to contact with the chemotherapy drugs. Washing clothes separately wasn't mentioned. I don't remember feeling freezing. Best of luck!

• Hi Cancerbeglam, when I spoke to my oncologist about what I had read he said just carry on as normal, no need to change sheets or flush the loo twice etc. only thing I was told was to avoid raw fish and blue cheeses (things like when pregnant) as immune system low. Also at the time we were still coming out of Covid times so I did wear a mask out but as we got towards the end I didn’t bother anymore. I ended up getting Covid just after my last chemo, which was only because my hubby had picked it up from somewhere. On my good days we just went out as normal.  My husband and kids were fine throughout my chemo and had no problems. The loo and sheet info maybe for different chemo as there are so many different types.

Wishing you all the best

Hugs from cuffcake x x x x x